1. motiva8in

motiva8in New Member

how to link main charactor to ancestors?

Discussion in 'Research' started by motiva8in, Nov 30, 2010.

the main charactor has found out about her relitives, I googled the name I picked and found a great story that would help my story alot but its true and I dont know how to use/make it work in my story.
    the name is linked to some one who survived the titanic, [he died in 1963] but the info in his odit. will help my story alot. where he was born,the kind of work, the fact he didnt have kids, everything,but I dont how to make it mine. do you know what I mean?

I needed to have my charactor linked to a wealthy person that had passed a long time ago, when I googled the name I'm using [just for fun] I was floored that he was what I was looking for and everything it said was what I need. or is just why you put a disclamer at the begning of your story, and just keep going.

yug! anysuggestions or questions would be great.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I would personally be wary of using anyone who was alive as late as 1963 without contacting any surviving family. My general rule of thumb I take from my work in history was anyone who died 110 years ago was fair game. Someone who died in 1963 will doubtless have people alive who remember them. He may have nephews/nieces etc.

I don't understand how you mean to link them ? do you mean family relations, using an artefact or object or photograph etc?

3. cjs0216

cjs0216 New Member

Just change the guy's name and possibly the year he died...that's what I'd do.

4. motiva8in

motiva8in New Member

to link the main person in my story to having a wealthy relative. I like having common places like here I live the roads, business that kind of thing, in my story but the story it self is fiction.
    thanks

5. motiva8in

motiva8in New Member

that would be the easy way out thanks

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

was the wealthy person a lawyer etc they could visit the law practice for some reason etc?

7. cjs0216

cjs0216 New Member

Nevermind, I just re-read a bunch of times what you initially wrote and realized I had misread the first time what you were trying to say.

8. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I'd stick to fiction. Surely you can come up with something. Did you want your character's ancestors to have survived the Titanic in the first place or is this a simple way out.
    As to where he was born - I don't see why that is important.
    As to if you can get away with using him in your fiction- dead man can't sue.
    Morally- consider his descendants feelings.