1. butterbescotch

butterbescotch New Member

Dark Tower: Gunslinger

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by butterbescotch, Mar 24, 2011.

This book was highly recommend by those I asked. They enjoyed and even categorized it as their favorite but I didn't.

Frankly, I was disappointed after I read it. The story keeps on giving bits of information with nothing to relate in the later part of the book. In fact, when I reached halfway I didn't understand anything. I know it's a mystery book but the problem is he presented it with too much ambiguity and it appears to be dull and boring

The story world was confusing. I don't know the status of the title Gunslinger or even grasp the importance on why should Roland go to the Tower. What was the danger? I don't know. What are the consequences? I don't know. The climax of meeting the man in the black was rubbish. Why can't he just appear to him then when in the end he's going to help him? I can't find any unreasonable reasons.

I know that many people have claimed that the Dark Tower Series was great but certainly it was bad book to start the series.

Or did I just miss something? Let me know your thoughts.

2. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

It's the depth of misrery that the book leaves open, giving you a taste ofa world gone, offering quetion after question, then slowly anwsering them, as the series moves on, you leave more and more about everything you just asked, slowly piecing things together, I'm up to book6 Song of Sussanah. I love the series, I'm trying not to read it, because I don't waant it to end.
    I personly loved book 2 'drawing of the 3' I thought it was excelent, book 4 gives you all the answers you want that you haven't already been given. The first book entices the reader, giving you questions you want answered.
    The story only really improves from there, it's worth at least giving the second book a try, believe me. Things improve. ;)

The eye of the crimson king is watching...

3. butterbescotch

Some too have persuaded me to be patient and read the second book. But I don't know I am just too disappointed to give the series another chance.

But you have to agree with me, it was not a good book to start a series.

4. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I don't know, I really ejoyed it, I love being thrown into the middle of things, learning things as I go, but being left with alot of mystery.
    For me, it worked very well, I loved the world it created, you get a better grasp as things continue. The cross overs work well too, you'd only get what I mean by that latter on though.

Blain is a pain, and thats the truth.

You may simply not like the way he tels the tale, you may want to know the backstory instantly, I don't I like to learn it as I go, book 4 give you everything you need to know about the back story, I simply loved that one.

Once I finish the series, I plan to get the graphic novells as well. Something about the series caught me in the first book, hooked me, as it had others, but each to their own.

5. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

The subsequent books are much better than the first. I felt as you do about The Gunslinger, but King is counting on you buying the next book, where things start to explain themselves.

6. Kevin B

Kevin B New Member

I will have to admit that I cut my 'reading' teeth with Stephen King novels, but The Dark Tower is the only books of his I have not read. Stephen King was my idol for a while, until I started reading Dean Koontz. Even Mr. Koontz has had his disappointing reads, but overall, I feel he is certainly the best writer of the two. Bentley Little was an all time favorite of mine too, but then I grew tired of reading about someone winning the lottery. IT seems that in most of his books, theres a character that's claimed his fortune from playing the numbers. It makes me wonder if Mr. Little didn't at one time hit the jackpot himself. I was devouring everything Bentley Little wrote, until I found Richard Laymon. Now there's a master of the macabre, if you like a good slasher tale now and then.

I'm getting too far from the point of this post, which is the Dark Tower series. I don't know if I will ever read it, but if I do, it will be because I've caught up with other favorites and need some kind of fix to bide my time. :)

7. butterbescotch

If you do Kevin, save yourself from boredom and start reading on the second book.