1. CraniumInsanium

CraniumInsanium Member

Mind Melters, your top 5

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by CraniumInsanium, Sep 11, 2014.

I'm curious as to what everyone classifies as a "mind melting book". That's to say, a book that is so ludicrously logical yet insane you cant help but be drawn into it. A story that breaks down the walls of what is standard to smithereens and then rebuilds those walls in the story's own image. As of yet, I don't have a top 5 list, because only ONE book I have read so far qualifies for this description. It's beautiful and its horrifying. It's called "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. Curious if anyone has read this or agrees. (On, a side note, I'm only just now discovering there's a sequel to it. It calls to me like a drug. Oh well)

At any rate, I recently came upon "The Exogenesis of Philip K. Dick". All of my instincts declare that this will be another "mind melter" based on its size, and occasional passages briefly read from skimming through it. Curious to anyone elses thoughts on it if they've read it, or what you would classify as a "Mind Melter"

1- House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski
    2-
    3-
    4-
    5-

2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I felt that way about Joseph Heller's Something Happened.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

M. John Harrison's Light was such a book for me, but the magic only worked the once. I don't know why. I reread it and that sense of holyshitthisbookiscrazyinsanegood was no longer present.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I still want to read House of Leaves, but I keep thinking I ought to buy the paperback rather than an ebook because I heard its formatting/layout etc are also quite important and adds to the book?

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

House of Leaves was great. I like to think I understood it, but I likely don't.

Gravity's Rainbow is certainly up there I'd say.