1. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Concentration

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shadow Dragon, Sep 6, 2008.

When you guys are trying to concentrate on something do you prefer silence or do you like background noise.

I'm probably in the minority here, but for some reason, I can't concentrate when there isn't any noise. My mind just wants to wonder around everywhere when its too quiet. I'm just curious if others are the same way.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I need noise.
    May it be music or just the sound of everyone moving around.
    I can't concentrate when there is silence. When there is silence I am slightly distracted because I want to know why it is so silent.

3. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I feel awkward sitting in total silence, so usually there has to be some noise.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It depends. Background noise doesn't help so much, but a little soft music tends to.

5. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Yeah I tend to need music playing.
    Though background noise doesn't distract me so much as long as it isn't really loud or something I'm not used to.
    Normally I'll have my TV on with the volume on low.

6. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Perfect time for concentration - nature sounds. Music, TV, people talking and utter silence distracts me. Reading on top of a hill at sunrise - perfect.

7. Kylie

Kylie New Member

Background music, for me, doesn't make a difference as long as it isn't too loud. When I need to concentrate, it's helpful to be alone. Not alone as in alone in a room by myself. But like if there's a room full of people talking and chit-chatting, it helps for me to sit down and not have a friend next to me who could distract me. I can tune things out and ignore what's around me when I need to concentrate, except when there's blaring loud music.

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I like music. Music that either has no words, or I don't know them, as I get distracted if I want to sing along. But a bit of rave or dance, or some good classical, anything that fills the silence.

9. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

When im working - need some sort of music on, it can even been quite loud, i type to the beat :p

When im reading, it has to be silent, I try hard to get "into" the book.

10. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I need my music in the background. Carefully hand-picked instrumental tracks and I can't have people around. I never get time to myself so I don't concentrate as often as I'd like to.

11. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

I am able to tune out quite a bit while at work and can concentrate on work while listening to music.

I've tried to concentrate on writing at home but find that while my children are up and doing things I can't get into writing, too many distractions, loud noises, and vibrations from jumping and such. I prefer reading with silence and much as I want to write while my children are up I don't seem to be able to.

12. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Im with heather on this one. I can concentrate when there's the soft sound of wordless music. although i listen more to soundtracks than rave and dance. but silence is just as good for me:)

13. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

I only listen to music for inspiration. I like complete silence when writing, although I suppose I can write with light music on- I just have to tune it out. I can't read with any music on.

14. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Oddly enough, I can only really concentrate when there's music that I don't like/don't know. If there's a song on that I like, my attention turns to the song, and I can't concentrate. But if it's something that I don't like or have never heard before, it's a lot easier to ignore.

15. theassassin

theassassin New Member

I like music, to break the silence. Just not too long or fast. Maybe classical?

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I'm a silence person. I can't concentrate at all when there is noise. Which is one of the main reasons I find it so hard to read, write and sleep. I hate music playing in the car if I am on a long trip, I can't listen to musc if Iam talking to people on msn or if I a writing. Cause i lose concentration so quickly. I love silence an need it to function!

17. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I've found that for mindless repetitive tasks I concentrate better if I have a movie playing in the next room that I like, but have seen before. That way I can listen to the movie, but I'm not tempted to look away from what I'm doing to watch it.

For thinking tasks music is good as long as it's relativly relaxed. No rock. Nature sounds are also perfect, but only if they're authentic.

18. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I need silence or else something regular like white noise or the sound of rain. Especially when reading. Even soothing New Agey music can be distracting. Actually, that's about the only activity I can think of where I really need to concentrate and need the quiet. My ability to concentrate on reading has really diminished since coming online. :( With almost anything else, including writing, I'm fine if there's noise going on; for some reason then I can tune it out (why I don't bother listening to music when writing, I won't even hear it!), but not when reading. *sigh*

19. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

For me, it depends on what I'm trying to do. Even when I'm writing, it depends on what I'm writing - for some things I need total silence, other times I just put my music player on random and leave it be... Very occasionally I need something very specific, like Nicholas Lens's Flamma Flamma.

:)

20. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

For me Music is a necessity...I have it playing. I daydream if it is too quiet.:rolleyes::redface:

21. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I can concentrate in any condition.

22. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

I salute you.

23. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Playing music generally helps. Especially Coheed & Cambria and Tool.

24. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

It doesn't matter for me; I can read a novel in a cafeteria full of people talking, so I can pretty much tune out most noise. ;]

However, I do prefer music playing when I'm writing over silence.