1. Gholin

Gholin Member

Cyberpunk: How viable and how to write?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Gholin, Feb 22, 2014.

Hey guys.

So I've got the desire to try my hand out at cyberpunk, but I'm finding it's a bit thin of a genre. It seems like everything's been done that can be done with it and not many people write it (not a lot of new examples). Do you think Cyberpunk is an unpopular/dying genre and if it's viable, how do I prep myself to write it and write it fresh? Any ideas?

I don't know a lot of famous examples to study other than Matrix and Blade Runner for one thing, and it seems people have already explored the themes of cyberpunk pretty thoroughly. Thanks for any advice!

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you haven't read William Gibson, then I'd start there. I think there is a lot of room to do more in the genre, particularly since it isn't being heavily written at the moment.

3. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

there was a game back in the 90's called rise of the dragon, it was set in a bladerunner-esc future but dealt with crime and drugs. I dont think its unpopular or anything.

You can pretty much write what you want into that genre, take it wherever you want, fantasy and sci-fi tend to be very malleable.