1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Made it to 2,215 words on The Winds by today. Somewhat behind schedule for NaNoWriMo, but with luck, I'll catch up.

2. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

The 'target' for each day of writing isn't set in stone, is it? Some days you'll write more than others. Just gallop when you can. It will be interesting to see how you get on with this nanowrimo thingy. I suspect that once you get going, you'll probably do very well because enthusiasm often breeds enthusiasm. You've created a premise for a story I would certainly read. Good luck.

On another note entirely: would you mind having a word with your Scottish relatives, whom I caught yesterday CHEWING HOLES IN OUR WINDOW SILL OUTDOORS???? I know they are hinting that I should be chucking nut nuggets at them more frequently, but this is having the opposite effect.

minstrel likes this.
  3. Stephen Gazzard

Stephen Gazzard Member

Story #1 sounds right up my alley - alternate-history fantasy is such an interesting place to work in, it's where I started but I ended up adding spirit animals so there's a little bit of magic, whoops.

Good luck on NaNo!

minstrel likes this.
  4. minstrel

Well, obviously I didn't finish NaNo. I have a bunch of reasons, but none of them should really be counted as excuses. I slacked off, plain and simple.

My focus, for the time being, has returned to The Search for Steel. I'm doing the first chapter of the second draft, and it's been frightening me for a long while now. The reason is that this chapter contains an event (the "inciting event," if you will) that is such a strong scene that I'm afraid the rest of the book (at least until the last couple of chapters) will pale in comparison. I don't know yet how to get around this, or whether I even have to.

This event didn't even happen in the first draft, but the first chapter of that draft was notably weak. I feel like I've replaced Simon and Garfunkel with AC/DC.

Ponder, ponder, ponder...

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

With or without Axl Rose? :)

Have you had any feedback?

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Or you can think of something even bigger that happens later in the book. :D Make it epic. ;)

minstrel likes this.
  7. minstrel

No feedback yet. I don't think it's ready for that yet.