1. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

I love when...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mordecai, Jul 29, 2009.

Dreams come through for me when it comes to writing. I went to bed around 12 last night, and ended up tossing and turning for the next half hour or 45 minutes. I finally was able to catch some shut eye when an Idea sprung up out of nowheres for a novel. I somehow instantly woke up and realized right then and there that I needed to get some ideas down. So, I didn't get to sleep til around 3. I'm overly excited right now, just had to share this with the rest of you. Anyone else love the mysterious art of the human sleep scenes? :rolleyes:

2. murphcas

murphcas New Member

oh I do!! I always dream very vividly and can usually always remember my dreams when I wake up (and if I can't remember them right away I usually remember then like an hour later). I had this dream one time that inspired me to write the story I'm working on now. That dream occurred freshman year in college. I'm now about to be a junior and I still remember specific parts of that dream very, very vividly.

3. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I keep saying I wrote the end of my novel before the begining and that is because I had such a vivid dream that I wrote it down, and the rest of the story formed around it. I love dreams, especially when I can remember them or they are interesting enough to give me some ideas for writing. Doesnt happen all the time, just once in a blue moon though.

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I had a dream about a really creepy movie theater that only showed horror movies and slasher flicks. All of course are independant films that are almost unheard of.

God I remember when I was looking at this display window, this zombiething sorta jumped out, the lights went on, and played some music. Its like what you might find at a haunted house. I yelled a little, turned around and there was this guy in a long black duster. I gave a small laugh and said "Surprised me," the guy laughed mockingly at me 'Ha Ha.' while revealing his nasty teeth. Of course the movie I decided to see is where I truly got my idea for a short story.

Either way not only was I extremely disturbed, but I woke up with an nice little horror story :D

5. Demief

Demief New Member

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago, that completely changed my intended ending to the novel i'm working on right now. Plus it gave me great encouragement as i want to get to this new ending much faster now as it is much more thrilling.

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I find that I get my best ideas at night, and after they've been thought about so much in my head, I dream about actually being in my story.

7. Elistara

Elistara New Member

I keep dreaming about scenes and tales that are totally unrelated to my story, even though I have lived in my book for about a year now. Different stories. I only write down the most vivid ones, or the ones I feel would adapt well on paper. I had one last night.. It was scary!

8. architectus

architectus Banned

I had a cool dream last night that gave me a neat seed idea for a story.

9. Blaidd Drwg

Blaidd Drwg New Member

I'm jealous of people who get story ideas from dreams. I rarely dream, but when I do it's never anything profound or interesting.

I once had a dream where I was at a table drinking a glass of milk. Yeah, seriously.

10. architectus

architectus Banned

Exciting dream baidd. Did the milk at least taste good?

Now this is no joke. About a month and a half ago, I dreamt, for the first time, that I attended a funeral. At first, I thought it was a party of some sort. Limousines liined the streets, everyone was dressed in clothes I couldn't afford, and there was someone singing on a stage. I asked this guy, "What's going on?"

"This is Michael Jackson's funeral," he said.

"Michael Jackson died?"

It tripped me out when a month later, I opened my browser and saw the news headline that Michael Jackson died. I had told the dream to my friend and mom right after I had it, so when they heard that heard the news, they were equally tripped out. "What are the odds that your first funeral dream would be able someone that dies shortly after?"

Dreams are strange.

11. Jackalyn

Jackalyn New Member

ah, dreams. I never get story Ideas from my dreams at least not the ones at night. My ideas come from my daydreams. But it is weird when your dreams predict the future.

12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I often sit like The Thinker, trying to solve my story problems and come up with new ideas. I often go to bed hoping fresh ideas will come to me at night. But it's usually always while I'm doing something entirely unrelated to writing and not thinking about writing, that ideas pop into my head, clear as daylight.

While cornering my motorcycle: *POP* "Hell yes, why didn't I think of that earlier?"

13. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

I have my best ideas when I'm half asleep. Problem is I'll wake up the next day and I won't remember them well enough to put to paper. Maybe they only sounded good because I was nodding off?

Rarely get good ideas from dreams (mostly because of how disjointed they are) but had a really heavy one a few hours ago (It's 2am where I am) involving tunneling off a desert island to overthrow a government plot using enraged spirits and possessed dolls to set fire to the oceans of the world.

The little panda statue sacrificed himself to save us ;_;

We'll always remember you, little guy.

14. Kas

Kas New Member

I had a very strange experience yesterday.

I was kinda sleepy, lying down, and thinking about my main character when I had an auditory hallucination. My eyes were wide open, I wasn't anywhere near asleep, but the character spoke as if in dream. Makes me wonder if I'm going crazy.:eek:

On the plus side, now I know exactly what my character's voice sounds like.

I'd love to learn how to do it intentionally, so I could just talk to my subconcsious all day. That would be awesome. Crazy, but awesome.