1. Iamnotarobot?

Iamnotarobot? New Member

Mixing tenses

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Iamnotarobot?, Oct 11, 2016.

Hello, I have a quick question about mixing tenses. When I am writing, I am always subconsciously creating sentences like this. "She ran through the kitchen, her shoes clicking on the tile as she passed." Is this acceptable? I know you're not suppose to mix tenses, but I think it sounds pretty good sometimes.

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

There's nothing grammatically wrong with that sentence. Mixing tenses would be this: She ran through the kitchen, her shoes clicking on the tile as she passes.

3. Iamnotarobot?

Iamnotarobot? New Member

I see, I figured because I was using clicking rather than clicked, that implied the present tense. Thank you.

4. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

No, that is a gerund, not a tense. I use that style heavily, to avoid choppy sentences. or repetitive subjects. Well-written example!

5. Iamnotarobot?

Iamnotarobot? New Member

Thanks Lew, I have never heard of a gerund. I am going to look that up right now. I like to write sentences like that because it feels like it adds a little something more to the description, but I always felt that I was breaking some kind of rule.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't think it's a gerund - gerunds are words that are usually verbs doing the job of nouns - like "I love running" - running is a gerund.

But "clicking" in the sample sentence seems like it's doing the job of a verb...

I agree that the sentence is grammatically correct as written, but not because of gerunds.

Sifunkle likes this.
  7. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I think it's a present participle phrase.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Nope you're good. It is not a mix of tenses.
    But I am guilty of doing it along the larger
    part of writing. Hard to keep present tense
    all the time. Suppose it is easier to write
    things in past tense. :)

9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I like them and use them too, but beware that some people don't like -ing words and want it to always be -ed unless that's grammatically incorrect.

I'm not saying you should listen to them--just be warned that you may get comments on it when you offer your work for critique.

jannert likes this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Sadly, you're right. It happens.

Tenderiser likes this.
  11. Iamnotarobot?

Iamnotarobot? New Member

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I think what I'm going to do is continue using them, but only when it sounds really good.

12. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

They work better, I think, in narration than in dialogue, because I don't think many people speak that way. In narration, though they go a long way to relieving monotony, repetition, and add a bit of rhythm

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Just to throw my hat in with the rest, it's not a mixed tense. And @BayView is correct in that clicking, in this case, is not a gerund. It's a present participle. You're using the present participle here to indicate that a thing happened simultaneously with another thing, and in this case that other thing happened in the past. Notice also that using the present participle obliges that second clause to be a dependent clause (not a complete sentence) because it's not complete without the original action to which this secondary action was simultaneous, thus turning the set of descriptions into a package deal of sorts.

It could be rewritten as:

She ran through the kitchen. Her shoes clicked on the tile as she passed.

We still have the same simultaneous action, but now there is more of a separation of the two things. It would depend on the effect one wanted to achieve. In this second example the shoe-clicks are more of an independent presentation; they get more focus as their own thing, rather than just being a descriptor of how she ran. Maybe the sound of the clicks is the important part in this scene, that someone heard them and knew she was home, or maybe shoe-clicks bug someone in the scene and set their teeth on edge. Who knows. Regardless, same information, different emphasis. ;)

VynniL and izzybot like this.
  14. Iamnotarobot?

Iamnotarobot? New Member

I see how breaking the sentence into two creates more focus on the shoe-clicks. What I like about the original sentence, is that it highlights the shoe clicks without breaking up the action. Also, like Lew mentioned it adds rhythm.

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Absolutely. I was just showing that when you do change the wording (which some people will suggest you should do because they have this thing against -ing usage) it changes the delivery of the information. This thing against -ing robs us of a syntactic structure that has a use and lends a feel that should remain in our toolbox, not thrown away for arbitrary reasons.

VynniL likes this.
  16. Iamnotarobot?

Iamnotarobot? New Member

Thank you. I agree completely. The reason I started this post is because someone once told me that the -ing did not work however, I have always liked it. After getting feed-back from all of you I have decided that I am going to continue using it.

VynniL and Tenderiser like this.
  17. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

YEAH! Rage against the machine. :D

I still -ing, too. Not as much... but I still do it.

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  18. Iamnotarobot?

Iamnotarobot? New Member

Haha yes! Iamnotarobot emerged from the shadows, refusing to conform.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    izzybot, Tenderiser and NoGoodNobu like this.