1. WovenTales

WovenTales New Member

Mixing Writing Styles

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by WovenTales, Aug 14, 2012.

I have had a more or less slice-of-life-ish story bouncing around in my head for a while, but wasn't quite sure of the best way to write it, as the major events would be separated by periods where nothing much happened (at least without writing daily life or artificially filling the time). Recently, though, I connected a journalistic style with the idea, and realized that that might allow it to work; alternating sections of more traditional narration for the main plot points with the main character's journal covering the filler, either in different chapters or half-and-half, depending on how long the narrative sections turn out to be. What I'm not sure about is if that would be any good. The entire thing would likely be in first person, which may reduce the jarring of jumping from one style to the other (and probably different tenses as well), but I can definitely see it still being abrupt enough to rather easily break immersion. And while I know a great deal of whether or not it works is dependent on how well I write the transitions (and that the best way to see if it works is to write it myself), I still wanted to hear what other people thought of the idea in general. The story would be a fanfic so I don't have to worry about commercial distribution and finding a publisher who likes it, but I'd still prefer that I'm not turning readers away from a story they would (hopefully) otherwise like by writing it in an impalpable style.

2. Thornesque

Thornesque Contributing Member

I think, as long as you made it plain every time that you changed to a journal entry, it would be fine. People add in letters, newspaper clippings and the like to novels all the time, and while they probably aren't as common or as long, it's still the same general concept. I think it could work and I wouldn't find it confusing at all. But that's just me. I say go for it, though.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can't say it'll work or not without seeing it done...

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Mixing writing styles will generally result in a very murky, disorganized-plooking piece of writing. A master writer might succeed with it if there is a good reason behind it. However, if you have to ask, I would say it is probably doomed to failure.

5. WovenTales

WovenTales New Member

All right, thanks for the input. As I continue to brainstorm, I'm actually not sure that the split would work out for this story, but it sounds like it is possible if it is done well—the trick being making it flow smoothly and clearly. And as it was mainly a way to make the writing easier on myself shoehorned into the story, there's probably not enough reason to use it here. I will keep it in mind as a potential method for the future, but probably not much more than that. Again, thanks!