1. n.alum

n.alum New Member

Mob Story

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by n.alum, Oct 31, 2009.

So I am new here. Just found this forum and already very impressed with it! Hope to make a lot of friends here! My question is how can I let people see my writing first off because I actually proud of what I am writing and second to get feedback. I am not shy about it; but I should be because its my first piece! But I don't want my idea stolen or copied in anyway! Is there a way I can make this a reality so I can share? :confused:

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

No one's going to steal your idea. If they do, and you can prove that you did it first, then you can take them to court. But I doubt it would be a problem...I'd certainly be surprised if anything off this forum has been plagiarised....

3. n.alum

n.alum New Member

I am very cynical especially with my idea. Is there a way I could get feedback on my piece I am writing? I mean in what way good I post it and get reviews

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

On this forum, only by posting it (in public) and only after critiquing at least two other pieces of work.

5. n.alum

n.alum New Member

Does this mean I give feedback on two other people's works? If so how can I go about doing that..if that is in fact the case

6. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

There is a forum cathegory on the site named "The Review Room". There you can pick what kind of story, then review/post a piece of story.
    Look how the others have written their reviews. This site wants it's members to write constructional critique. Which means you have to state out what's bad and good.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please don't make a beeline to the Review Room. It is a critiquing workshop, and is NOT recommended for new members. Instead of rushing to post your work, you should begin with New Member Introductions, and get to know your way around first.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no, he can't!... ideas can not be copyrighted, only completed works can be... study up on the actual copyright laws here: www.copyright.gov

na...
    you should never post an entire work, if you hope to have it published for pay later, because why would any publisher pay you for it, to make others pay to read it, if it can be read online for free?

you should only post a small excerpt of a work, to get feedback on the writing quality, or help with any specific problem... if you want an opinion on the whole thing, you should do that privately, with someone who's knowledgeable enough to give you a valid assessment and advice...

9. n.alum

n.alum New Member

that is what i am worried about..having a good idea..then having the idea stolen from me...it would suck :(

10. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

The only way to be entirely sure, is to burn it and then bury the ashes.

Seriously, though... To my experience with people, those who hold their ideas tight in paranoia are those who don't have many ideas. That is why they guard them with their life. Chances that someone would actually steal your idea is like 0.00001% Most people prefer their own ideas over stealing yours.

Now, had you invented an immortality potion, it would be a different matter.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...that's a typically amateur way of looking at it... first of all, there's no such thing as a 'new' idea... everything's been done before, by someone...

...the only thing you can do is develop that idea differently from what anyone else would do with it... and since no two people will come up with exactly the same twists and turns, narrative, or dialog, each work that arises from the idea will be a different one...

...so, stop worrying about a non-problem and just get to work on making something marketable out of that idea!

12. n.alum

n.alum New Member

Thanks I really appreciate this comment. I get what you are saying 100% but I think my arrogance and cynicism of theft is what worries me. And besides my story is a mob or mafia related story..and we don't see much of those anymore..so what do I have to be worried about. I appreciate all the comments and maybe those who wish to see my work I can get in touch with individually. I would love to read other people's peices as well. I love collaboration and in general was wanting an area where I could see what I need work on. I am already LOVING this forum! :) :)