1. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

Modern Short Story Writers

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by GoldenGhost, May 7, 2013.

So, the short story has been my medium of choice, since I started writing/studying writing seriously.. and over the last year or so, I've read the likes of Hemingway and Bradbury, some of Fitzgerald's work, as well as Hawthorne's... some of Poe's stuff.. and a small amount of recent material, mostly what Glimmer Train publishes (though those stories are usually first publications, and not exactly great examples of the *BEST* work). My question to you is this: What, in your opinion, are some of the best modern day short story writers? I'm talking within the last decade, to five years, and more importantly, the current state of writing. Sure I can study the above mentioned masters to get an idea of how to pace a narrative, present characterization or description, how to set a scene, show and tell, etc. etc., but the 'styles' have become more or less obsolete, or 'archaic'.. especially in the grammar and use of language. I'm attempting to become more familiar with the current trend and language and style of the 'modern masters,' if you will. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Alice Munro is the best living short story writer, so start with her. I can't think of any others at the moment, but if I do, I'll update my post.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

George Saunders has a collection on the bestseller lists now. I like some of the stories of T. Coraghessan Boyle. Also try Jhumpa Lahiri. Junot Diaz. Denis Johnson.

There are more, but those are the ones that pop into my head now.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I can't believe I forgot Jhumpa Lahiri. Both of her short story collections are good, though I think the first one (Interpreter of Maladies) is better.

I've never read any stories by T.C. Boyle, but he's certainly a reputable writer.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

There are also anthologies -- The Best American Short Stories, put out every year. Those should give you a good mix, in addition to the authors listed above.

6. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

Raymond Carver

7. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Rebecca Besser has some pretty good stuff, and she got started here on this very forum. She's a super cool lady too.

Mike Resnick, not of this forum, is a pretty amazing short fiction author. I have yet to find something from him that wasn't exceptional.

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Karen Russell just published an offbeat collection - Vampires in the Lemon Grove. Also Francesca lia Block has
    some interesting short stories in her Girl Goddess #9

Also I love John Updike.
    Joyce Carol Oates is pretty good too.

9. squishytheduck

squishytheduck New Member

10. GoldenGhost

Thank you everyone for the replies! Looks like I have a ton on my reading plate.

11. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

Joe R. Lansdale writes really good short stories (and novels too). If you google him, his site always has one free short story that changes (I think weekly). He is not afraid of the use of swearing or violence, so if you are easily offended it is not for you. But he does write very well, and has some inventive descriptions.

12. GoldenGhost

I'll check him out, for sure!

13. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

Do. If you like what you read, and want to read longer books I can recommend his novel "The bottoms", in particular (although I haven't read one of his books that was a waste of time)

14. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala New Member

I second Raymond Carver, btw nice avatar ;)

2 people like this.