1. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

Monarch Titles

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Pink-Angel-1992, Apr 14, 2012.

What title can be associated with a monarch?

~*~​
    If just jumped straight into writing a story, partly because I want to start writing something of my own (and it would be good pratice) and to see if I can get away without doing planning stuff for it (or very little). I have a little on the two main characters, but I think I need a little more notes wise then what I already have. The story is about a first year UNI student (in England) who is pulled into an alternate world of Earth. Somethings will stay the same to what he knows, but others will change, such has how England is actully set up.

In the story Britian is splite into different region (which it already is, I googled it - North-east, South-east etc, but these names will be different); each region will have a ruling Monarch, with ruling King/Queen above them (maybe... right now I'm thinking their Royal family has died and the hire is missing or unkonw...???). I need to figure out what title the region Monarchs' will have due to the the second main character being a ruling monarch.

I've tried googling my question and it's come up with Emporer, King/Queen, Prince/Princes and Duke/Duchess; are there any other titles, because I don't feel these titles suitable? I was going to use Lord/Lady, but I was planning to have several noble families, under the Monarch family in each region, whom I think would have the title Lord/Lade, as well as the Monarch's family members, but for the Monarch themselves, I want a title that will make them stand out (and maybe one for the hire...).

Does anyone have any ideas to help me? Thanks in advance!

2. Protar

Protar Active Member

If you want to go a more unique route you could go for Archons. There are also different variations depending on how many Archons there are, so if you had 8 regions, the monarch would be an Octarch. Also if you'll notice (As I did just this second.) monarch also derives from this. I'm not sure how historically accurate this is though.

3. Dubya

Dubya New Member

Britain, in the past, had several kingdoms, and also a principality,(Wales), hence Prince Charles' official title is Prince of Wales, although he is not monarch of the U.K. (Yet) Monaco is another example of a principality, ruled as the name implies, by a Prince. Regions have been ruled by Lords and Barons as well. Bonny Prince Charlie was known as "The Young Pretender" to the throne, ie he was an heir to the throne.

4. Pink-Angel-1992

Thanks for the replies! I will have a look into Archons when I can.

After I asked my question and went back to researching it, I find this here with different Monarch titles, but beyond Prince/Princess, when addressing them, they seem to be the same, with one taken out or one added. Therefore addressing them just becomes the same despite their status... or at least that is the way I've come to understand this, if I'm wrong, please tell me!

I've worked up a temporary Monarchy hierarchy, but I think I still need to work on it.

Say that your character named Johnathan, for example, is a Marquis, would it be okay if people addressed him as Marquis Johnathan, or does that just sound stupid? I'm not sure on this...

5. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

'Archon' simply means leader/ruler in ancient Greek. The Archons of Athens were the 9 chief magistrates, or in other cities more generally the law givers. It is not associated with royalty, nor is it a hereditary position. Archon's were elected, they did not inherit their office.

Other offices that use the title include hipparch, a cavalry commander, a taxiarch is an infantry commander, and a polemarch is a war commander (usually the general in overall command of a campaigning army).

A monarch (from monos, sole/only) means the sole ruler, i.e. a king or queen.

Other titles for a sole ruler would be tyrant, dictator, emperor...

6. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

*wince*

I don't like the sound of that... research is usually a good idea.

This would make each of the 'regions' a kingdom, rather than merely a geographical area. And Britain isn't really split into the regions of North East/ South East - those are descriptive terms, not administrative ones, much like the terms Mid West or East Coast are used in America. Britain is actually split into counties, and each of these would have been presided over by a Count or a Duke - Like the Count of Wessex (Prince Edward, third son of Elizabeth II), and the Duke of Cambridge (Prince William, eldest son of Prince Charles).

I think this is what you would have in all likelihood - Great Britain being ruled by one monarch, but each county being the seat of a Lord and Lady of the court. These Lords would have been able to raise armies, and often schemed at the throne (several Dukes of Norfolk did). I think that is more likely than England being divided into lots of tiny little kingdoms...

7. Protar

Protar Active Member

Well yeah I said it wasn't historically accurate but if you want an alternate term for ruler archon is quite cool I think.

8. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

An Irish king is a ri (rithe is plural), and a queen is a banrion (rigan in Old Irish, banrionacha is plural). Ard ri is high king.

*shrugs* It's something. There's also potentate, caesar, tsar, czarina...

9. Pink-Angel-1992

As it's set on an alternate world of Earth, that has several similarities, I thought that I'd just start it and done research when and were I need it. And as well, it's trail and error, finding what works best for me. Writting my own storys is different from fanfics, which already has it's characters and world already - fanfics is all I've done so far and then I haven't done to many. Either way, I know research is needed and I thought that it would be okay do it when it's needed (more so if you don't know you need to till you need to).

I guess the bit of research I did on that was wrong! Thanks; think I may have to go back over. At least I didn't get to far with it and what I have so far I don't think will need to be change much.