1. Marlon Manalese

Marlon Manalese Member

Book to Film Adaptations

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Marlon Manalese, Aug 16, 2016.

Have you guys ever watched a book to film adaptation that was as good as the source material, or even better? If so, what made the movie better?

For me, Fight Club the movie was much better than the book itself. The extended script really breathed some life into Palahniuk's characters, and there was a lot of inner dialogue in the narrarator's POV that was translated into dialogue between him and Tyler Durden.

And for those who know the famous plot twist of that story, I'm sure you can figure out why it was important to turn that narrative into a dialogue between Cornelius and Tyler instead of keeping it internal.

It also maintained its main philosophy about anti-capitalism and the effects of fatherlessness, and is overall just as gritty as the book. The book is good, but the movie is great, and Chuck himself has said that he likes the movie's ending better than the one he originally wrote.

Zorg likes this.
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Princess Bride? I wouldn't say the movie was better than the book, but it was at least as good. It kept a lot of the whimsy and humour, and had the advantage of sight gags and some really good performances.

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I liked the Hunger Games series a lot. I thought they followed the book really well, as well as provided necessary information in a way that made sense. Like in the first book, Katniss had a lot of interior monologues about what she was seeing -- the Reaping, the Games, the Trackerjackers, the Mockingjays. I was worried they wouldn't be able to portray that accurately, but I feel they did a great job. Not perfect, but pretty damn good IMO.