1. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

What do I write?

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by LionofPerth, Jul 28, 2007.

THis seems to be the best place to post this.

I have an idea for a movie, so do I write a script, or a screenplay?

I thought they were vaguely the samething.

I think I write a script, but if I'm not, I'd appreciate the help.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a screenplay IS a script!

many of those i mentor are aspiring screenwriters, so you can email me for info on the basics and a format guide... and help learning how, if you want it...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

Its like that saying, all beagles are dogs, but not all dogs are beagles.

Like, all movies come from scripts, but not all scripts go to a movie.

So you'd be writing your script for your screenplay if it was for a movie.
    You'd be writing your script for a teleplay if it was for television.
    You'd be writing your script for a play if it was for the stage.
    Etc., etc., so on and so forth.

Alright, I went kind of random there with this post, but I think you get the general idea, right? ;)

What is your screenplay going to be about?

P.S. And good luck, for scripting is one of the most structured forms of writing. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask! :cool:

4. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

A script it is then, I had a feeling they were kinhd of the samething, but it is better to ask when you don't know then to not ask at all.

It's off a Nintendo 64 game I love by the name of Perfect Dark, and at this stage, I haven't received any feedback from Microsoft or Rare about the project, so until I do, I'd like to continue at least putting together a draft.

5. mammamaia

first of all, you can't legally adapt a copyrighted work without having the permission of its owner... second, the chances of bill gates or whoever owns the rpg handing over adaptation rights to an amateur for free, are nil to none... and the fee is bound to be more than you'll make in the next several years...

if you do it just for fun and keep it to yourself, it's no problem, but if you show what you've written to anyone, you'll be infringing on their copyright and can be sued for all you'll ever own in your lifetime...

why not just write something original?

6. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Know about the whole copy right thing, and its an FPS not an RPG.

If they want me to delete the work, I will, but if they want tro see it they'll get a sample I still have not heard back from them, and until I do, all I have to do is wait.

As for licencing fees etc, if they wanted to make a movie, financially, wouldn't it be better to have lots of submissions, and pay a set fee for the script, then attache their own editors on to it?

Even if they want it, I doubt I'd sell it, it's the firts time I;ve put together a script? How good could it be?

7. mammamaia

not at all... it would be better [and what is done all the time] to have a seasoned screenwriter write it as work-for-hire... or sell the adaptation rights to a reputable studio or producer... having to deal with a slew of amateurs would be time and energy-wasting and most likely result in nothing usable... plus, then there'd be all those copyright-infringing scripts floating around out there...

doesn't matter... you're still fiddling with someone else's work... and the worse you do it, the more of an insult it is to the originator...

picture yourself and something you wrote as the game owner and his property, and seeing some amateur from a writing site take your work and 'adapt' it horribly to some other medium... how would you feel?

8. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Not only do I write stories, but table top war games as well, and I would be a little annoyed, but you have to start somewhere right? The minute it was published, I would have a leagl team land on them like a tonne of bricks,

And if people were really that concerned about copyright would fanfiction exist? A very large portion of it is, for lack of a better word and to not swear, appauling. If I was the author of the original work I would be insulted to suich a degree I would not be able to forgive the individual at all.

As for my project/attempt, it's a fan based project, no harm to anyone, but my writing time. I freely acknowldge I am using another persons/group work, and I intend to make no money, and if I was I would make sure it was licenced.

I see few problems, though Microsoft is still to get back to me.

Ps, I have written a couple of games, while they're forms maybe similar to solme others, that's because I needed a test bed for my own ideas, and all edits/reviews/versions since are purely my own work and wording.