Moral support needed!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SeaBreeze, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

We're drifting quite wide of the topic folks.

2. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

Wow, good for you, Doz! :)

I think it's pretty obvious that we're all here for you!

I myself am trying to lose that pesky last few pounds so I can sympathize...

What I do is I count calories.

Google caloric intake and there is a formula to see how many calories you burn just by sitting on the couch, existing.

Eat that amount to maintain your normal weight.
    Eat that amount and excercise to slowly lose weight.
    Eat less than that amount and excercise to lose weight faster.

You get the picture.

Also, try to eat healthy by eating whole grains, lean meats, and lots of fruits and vegetables!

(I dont know what you guys have over in England or the UK or wherever you all live, so I dont know about certain recipes...)

However, I have a horrible sweet tooth, so I save 150 calories from my normal diet for 3 Reduced Fat Oreos (do you have those?), which, actually, I think taste better than the Originals anyways.

I hate excercise, as well, so I dont excercise very much beyond my normal day (Which does, as a waitress and student on an extremely large campus without a car does get some excercise in...), and I've already noticed my pants fitting loser!

Excercise is healthy and I encourage you to do it (I'm such a hypocrite), especially if you have health risks looming in front of you.

A good motivator might be your children, friends, family, etc., especially since you do have health risks. Remind yourself that you need to be there for them!

--Other good tricks:

+ Hang your bathing suit on your refridgerator.
    + Empty your entire pantry! You dont have to resist if you dont have it in the first place! (You only have to resist once at the market. You have to resist multiple times a day when its in your home.)
    + If you have a busy schedule... wake up 1/2 hour earlier each day to excercise, and go to bed 1/2 hour later to excercise. --It is recommended to get at least 1 hour of excercise each day, so there you are!
    + If your schedule isn't quite so cramped, take your favorite TV show each day, record it, and excercise when that show is normally on. Then watch it later.

We're all behind you, Doz! Good luck! :)

3. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Thanks! Although I don't have a bathing suit! LOL! :D It's early days yet so I wont start losing weight properly for a bit yet, I want to do this slowly and it doesn't help with birthdays hanging around this month! But I'm cutting down heaps on takeaways/fastfood so progress!

BTW, I live in Australia! :p But thanks for the advice and support though! :D

4. Frost

Frost Active Member

Counting calories is great, but incredibly hard to maintain. Alot of work. You have to be the right type of person for it to work. If you truly believe it could work with you, go ahead. But if you don't, I wouldn't bother.

5. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Personally, I have absolutely no self control and at the moment should probably lose just a little weight but as usual i'll put it off...

You, on the other hand, we're all very proud of and as mentioned earlier it takes a lot of character to admit to something like this. It's good that you're taking time to do this the right way and with the support of your friends, if you truly put your mind to it then I have no doubt that you'll do it. You won't need this but good luck, keep us updated :)

6. Stinger

Stinger New Member

I honestly think you need to do a lot of more work. But you should progress slowly but without pauses.

Keep it up, hope to read you announcing you're fit and healthy.

7. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I know. Just a tad harder... here come the excuses! when you knock off at six at night when it's dark, and your feet and legs are cramping pretty bad. But I will be going for a walk today though! Might make it a longer walk though! Thanks guys.

8. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Do you walk to and from work? Can you walk to and from work?
    If you can, that's a good way to help make walking more of a habit.

9. Stinger

Stinger New Member

Um... When I said more work I meant more work than walking. I guess if you exercize on a treadmill or bicycle it'll be perfect.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Of course I understand that! But walking is the first step for me, so to speak. The more it becomes a habit, the more I will be able to do. It's not also walking or exercise that is my main concern, I mean, it's up there but controling my eating habits is the hardest thing. I have to try and eat healthy as well because even if I exercise, it won't make a difference. I will be going in circles. I know that once my weight is down, It's easier to eat the odd bit of junkfood...

But overall, yes, I need to do more than walking, I need to swim, ride my bike, yadda yadda, yadda but at the moment, my physical fitness unfortunatly make doing that harder and I feel extremely uncomfortable about going to the swimming pool even if I wore shorts and a shirt! But thanks for the advice Stinger. :)

11. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Thats right DoZ. Start of at a level you can handle and work your way up. If you try too much too soon, you could injure yourself. I've done it myself when I lifted weights.
    But again, can you walk to work? It's a great way to make walking an ingrained habit.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh the heck with it, I'm going to say it anyway.

Pace yourself! :)

13. Frost

Frost Active Member

Exactly!
    Weight loss is very exciting (so is muscle gain). But dont get carried away.

14. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yeah, Yeah, laugh it up Chuckles! :p :D Does it also suck when it's hailing? I think I have to find another form of exercise! Winter in the south west here sucks!

15. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Get a dumbbell set of 2.5 to 10 pounds weights. They're fairly cheap and easy to come by. Look online, or buy some reputable weight lifting magazines. You can do a lot of simple exercises, alone, safely and easily. It works off fat, and builds up muscles, all in the privacy of your own home, and without looking like a fool jumping around doing aerobics.

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOL! yeah, I will be able to afford to buy them in a couple of weeks after my car rego payment! But I know It seems like I'm making excuses, I hav cut down on my junk food so yay! But I am trying! Honest! Thanks Dom. it's a good idea and one that I will try adn follow up on. No, Not try, will. :D

17. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Believe me I know all about money problems. Just keep walking, even if its just up and down stairs where you live (actually that can be a really good exercise as well). You can also do sit ups. Those are really good. Look up online to see different variations of sit ups, some are better then others.
    And if the hail isn't too hard, go for a walk with an umbrella. You may look a little silly, but it's better then sitting around watching it fall.

18. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOL! ur right. I did some running around the house tonight anyway.. I took some money off my boyfriend and he proceeded to chase me around the house! :p :D Thanks again Dom. Your da guy! :p :D

19. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Haha, guys are useful then? :p

20. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yes! But my boyfriend is good. I'm lucky that he loves me no matter what shape I am but he supports me too!

21. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Licky???
    Eww I hope you wash before and after that.
    Blegh!!!

22. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

AAAAARRRRRG! EWWWW I'm changing that! It was supposed to be LUCKY! darn it! I'm so embarressed!

23. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Lmao... we all know what you really meant. How's things going? Still working hard?

24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I've cut back on my take-aways/junkfood. So I'm happy with that. Probably wont shift any weight for a bit :( just wish it wouldn't rain so I could go for more walks! :p Thanks for asking Kit!

But on another note, I think I might actually take this thread to my blog, mainly just to get it out of the lounge area. I think I would feel more comfortable if I put it in the blog, would of done so if the blog came first. Sry, it's like, after four in teh morning so I tend to not make sense more so than usual....

But yeah, cutting down on junk food and I only had... myabe three kit-kats this week? (chocolate bars...:D) when I usually have well.. more than three!