1. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

Do any others exist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lavendershy, Apr 4, 2010.

See, I have this seriously depressing thing. I adore language - reading and writing takes a good deal of my time, and I actually love grammar. All well and good. I know lots of people like this. Plenty of the people on this forum are like this.

I adore science and math. By my own request, I did math over the last two summers. Chances are pretty good that I'll go into science as a career. All well and good. I know lots of people like this.

The problem comes when you consider that both those things are in the same person. All my language friends hate math and bemoan science, and all my mathy friends have a gag reflex when they try to say the word "poetry."

The point in all that being that I'm looking - very hard - for people who fit into both categories, like me. Do they exist? Beats me. I figure this is a decent place to continue my search. So consider yourself searched, and Stuff Like That.

Cheers,
    lavendershy

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You've just described me. I'm a scientist at heart. I enterd the workplace as a research chemist, then changed professions to software engineering. I still love math and the physical sciences, and when I retire from the software industry, I want to teach college math and science.

But obviously I love language and the arts as well. I read whenever I can, and have always loved the aesthetics of language. I am fascinated by the etymology of words as well, and what I cannot know through research, I speculate.

I've even managed to fuse the two aspects in my work. I worked for more than a decade in a compiler and tools development group, so I analyzed (computer) languages in terms of formal grammars, a mathematical construct.

3. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Same. I write fiction, read fiction, love art and movies and theater, and yet I am going to school for Environmental Science and love to be outside, work with my hands, and learn about science. We exist :)

4. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Math. The devil's arithmetic, fo sho.

Science is alright, I liked Biology and Chemistry in school. English and Social Sciences are where my mind wanders, however.

5. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

Well, this isn't as hopeless as I'd thought! Rather surprising, given how few people in real life I've managed to find. You guys just made my day. :) If that makes you happy too, cheers and so forth. Thanks!

6. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    o: I can't say much for math in particular, but Science was always my first love and continues to be the most fascinating thing to me.

People who love both doesn't seem like a strange concept to me; it's those who strictly love numbers that baffle me. I have a friend who is like a human calculator, he just loves numbers. I don't mean to say he loves the sciences either, it's a strictly math deal and it makes no sense to me. :rolleyes:

7. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

^Well, yes, until you consider that math is, in and of itself, a language, and has all the beauties of one, plus a few of its own. It's the language the universe speaks, so I can follow that.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    I can appreciate that it's the same all over the world basically, but I can't imagine dedicating yourself strictly to math. Though I suppose we need those kinds of people to make the world turn ^^

9. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'm a 3rd year Mechanical engineering student that changed over to English because I couldn't do diff-eq and love writing.

We are out there, just hidden.

10. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

You've got me pat.

I love the English language-Strange, considering my first language is intensive enough to lose myself for years. Then there's Sanskrit. But languages have always been my passion, and I'm good(not being self-praising and all), maybe not compared to a native speaker, no, but compared to people who started with me, yes. Actually, I have this thing for accents. I can do accents, syllables and speak them like a native(almost).
    Unfortunatel, though I have the talent, I don't have the means. In my city you don't get language tutors and if you do get them, you can't make time.

Maths is like a mystery, draws you in and I NEVER get bored with it.

Science, growing up like I did, is like another language to me. I speak Physics with y father-an engineer. Love everything about it(right down to the gates, part of the reason why I love Computer Science too).
    Biology-white Botany holds no lustre for me, zoology, used to be my passion too. But i had to give it up last year. All or none.
    Chemistry-Well. I love physical. Can do Inorganic. It's at organic where I'm a dud.

Sigh. Other than this, I suck at dancing(never learnt how people manage two use a left feet and a right too :p). My art, apart from sketching is horrible too. lol

So do I pass muster? :p

Btw, I've had this experience(With Science) that where people love Maths, Physics and Physical Chemistry, they dislike The other types of Chem and vice versa? Has anyone come across people like this?

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Diff-eq are fun. Brain calisthenics.

12. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie New Member

hey, I'm one of you too :D

I like writing and reading fantasy as much as I like watching fantasy movies. But I also find the physics about planets and atoms most fascinating ^^

13. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

Wow. My head feels a little funny. Why exactly is it so hard to find you all in real life? *facepalm* Seems like there are more than I thought. . . . This is happy. :)

14. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I'm studying 'bio-med science' and love writing, drawing and all forms of art. In fact most of the really great scientists I've met have a strong artistic side. After all, scientific investigation takes a great deal of creativity. :)