More Harry Potter Books

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Protar, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Protar

Protar Active Member

Thought everyone had finished with this. Guess not. I agree that it would be better to start a new series. But at the same time I think a story on the four founders would be different enough to not ruin the magic of the series. And J.K definitely said somewhere that she may go back to the series in like 10 years time.

2. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Are you referring to the "cartoony"-looking Clone Wars series? In that case, I agree completely. They've basically just gone from making a good series to milking the concept out of everything they've got.

And the same goes for Harry Potter. Any more will just be too much, as far as the story of Harry and not-dead friends goes, including family. I can see some fan fiction coming from this series, but it should be kept just as that, and even then it should feature wizards outside of Harry's groups of friends. After all, there ARE more schools for wizards other than Hogwarts, right?

3. dragonflie123

dragonflie123 New Member

The hunger games series is being made into movies now. :) (can't wait!) That's the next big thing in my opinion.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There are good Star Wars books, however. Some are quite good and illustrate well how you can keep a franchise alive and healthy. The movies on the other hand...

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I will let you know when mine is out. ;)

I agree though, the phrase "beating a dead horse" applies here. While HP is great, it's done. Continuing to write more and more books will stretch it too thin and make the whole thing seem old. JK Rowling is great and I want her to write more books, but fresh new stories with new characters and new adventures.

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

And the prequels. Eesh. :eek:

This. Absolutely. As much as I love it, it's done.

Absolutely. This as well. I'd love to see what else she can come up with. :)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The prequels were part of the orginal 9-movie arc. Now if only George Lucas would stop moaning and finish the story.

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I kind of hope he doesn't. The quality dropoff from 4/5/6 to 1/2/3 is pretty big. I can't sit through a single prequel, but I can watch the originals over and over.

9. Steerpike

Would be interesting to see how they handled that. The Star Wars series has a huge number of officially-licensed books that take place after Return of the Jedi, some almost immediately after. These are considered canon among the hardcore fans who care about it and also, from what I understand, by the rights holders.

If they made 7, 8 and 9 and didn't follow what was in those stories, but instead went off in a whole new direction, they'd essentially invalidate those stories as far as Star Wars canon goes, and the licensees would have to be pretty irate about it.

On the other hand, if they did follow them then the whole of the story is already out there and everyone knows how it is going to go. They make movies of books all the time, so no big deal maybe.

Another option would be to focus on new characters and plots that somehow don't impact the existing official canon.

It seems they were pretty careful in that there weren't many official books occupying the space in which the prequels take place - at least not at the time the prequels came out. There have been some since. The ones before the movies were things like the early years of Han Solo.

But after Return of the Jedi, the official book canon pretty much tracks the lives of all the major characters from what I understand.

10. Cogito

Sorry, but whatever Lucas puts on film is canon that overrides any franchise endorsed fiction. There were books written under franchise blessing after the very first movie, that fell out of canon as soon as Empire Strikes Back came out. Them's the breaks.

11. Steerpike

Yeah, I remember Alan Dean Foster wrote one.

Lucas could do that, no doubt. I'm just thinking of the sheer volume out there under the license now as opposed to back then. Novels, pen and paper rpgs, video games, etc.

It would be interesting if that happened to see if it would harm the suddenly non-canon works (in terms of decreased sales), and if so whether the licensee would have any recourse.

12. Cogito

None whatsoever. George Lucas created the characters and the extended setting, and, in fact, the original plan for the full triple trilogy.

Fan fiction can live on for what it is, in full recognition that if the original creator produces more installments, they need not align with the franchised fanfics.

James Blish was licensed to write the original Star Trek series into a series of short story collections. After that, he received permission to write the first Star Trek original novel, Spock Must Die! Well, Spock didn't die, but the novel ended with the entire Klingon race locked into a moment of time. Then came Star Trek: The Motion Picture. With Klingons. And clearly in a time that was "after" the period for Spock Must Die!

But we really should allow this thread to return to poor unemployed Harry. :)

13. Steerpike

Good points, Cogito.

And yes, let's return to Harry. I don't want anyone to use the Cruciatus curse on me for derailing :)

14. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Only Imperio so you don't do it again :).

15. DBock

DBock New Member

Please God no. Visions of The Phantom Menace ruining everything just keep popping into my head when I think about prequels to something that was surprisingly good.