1. Drusy

Drusy Senior Member

More than one in the works...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Drusy, Jan 9, 2013.

So I am having a little problem in that I have too many books in the works - or maybe it isn't a problem at all? For those of you that have had this issue - do you tend to skip back and forth between them or do you focus in on one and pound it out? At this rate I won't be done with a book for years - and a new one is always popping up. Is it best to put the others to bed for a while? It seems that whenever I do that, I start thinking most about the stories I'm not working on.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I tend to have a few different projects at different stages. I generally prefer to focus on one major writing project at a time. But there are times when one needs to take a break, to recharge one's batteries, and at those times I find it helpful to have something else to which to devote one's energies - either a project in its embryonic stage (research or outlining) or a finished work that may just need some polish. When I get ideas for new projects, I jot them down and make some notes, but I try not to dive into them to any degree (difficult for me, because I tend to compulse on new projects) because then I find that I have too much going at once.

After four novels, none published, my current project may actually be THE ONE, so that has made it easier for me to keep my focus.

3. Drusy

Drusy Senior Member

EdFromNY - that's smart. Keeping a journal with the new ideas. I think I'm like you - it's very hard not to jump into the new work and just set it aside. Good luck on THE ONE! I'll cross my fingers for you.

4. Anielle

Anielle Member

I do the same thing I have 4 novels and several pieces of poetry in the works everything is at a different stage I write when inspiration for each one hits. (and I keep a small pocket journal with me so I can jot down new ideas...although now that I have a laptop I just use that since I take it to work with me.)

5. WriterOfGarnia

WriterOfGarnia Member

I kind of have one project and one project only to work on. Though it is a project that consists of many books, sort of like a series. So in order for it all to work together, I have several documents on my computer for plots, dialogue, characters, ideas etc. I kind of need to know where the story starts to know how it should end, but also I need to know where it ends to know how to properly start it. So I am sort of having too many things going on at the same time but then again I also feel it is necessary since it will eventually become a unified story in the end.

If I ever felt the urge to work on a completely different story from time to time, I would definitely try to refrain from thinking about it. I simply fear it would take away attention from my current main project, despite how fractured that project currently is.

6. Drusy

Drusy Senior Member

Anielle, I am very much like you. But I have to wonder if that's to our credit or our detriment as writers. =) WriterOfGarnia seems to have the pointed dedication I could only hope for. Maybe if I make the decision to sit down and write nothing but one book for an hour a day and then can hop over for another hour and work on the other stuff as it hits me. Hmmm...

7. Anielle

Anielle Member

My issue isn't so much creating a balance as I work on the pieces its finding the time. I really have to force that hour a day in for writing and most days I don't get it unless its broke up in 5-10 minute segments throughout the day.

8. Talmay

Talmay Member

I have three in the works, all in different stages. When I start losing interest in one, I hop to another one, and so forth. It also helps my creative process. Something that might not work in one will work perfectly in another story.

9. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Right now I'm working on a romance novella and the first of an epic fantasy novel. At first I wasn't planning on doing this, wanting to concentrate solely on one thing at a time, but I find that there is a "limit" to how much fantasy and romance I can write in a day. I guess I wouldn't say limit, but my mind bogs down. However I can jump right in to the other and I feel fresh. I usually get in 3000 words a day combined; some days my novella will get 2000 words, my fantasy novel 1000, and vice versa.

I'm also a journalist for a sports website and I write at least an article a day.

10. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 Senior Member

I am currently working on three novels, working on first drafts for all of them. I have about two more story ideas, but I refuse to start any new projects until I'm finished with these three. I have a main project and two "smaller" ones, but "main" story has most of my attention.

11. Scarfe

Scarfe Member

Just work on one of them and stop it with the copious flirting ff s

12. Scarfe

Scarfe Member

really Drusy? Really? Come on

13. TemporalV01D

TemporalV01D Member

Exact same problem here. At first, I'd just write a point-form synopsis of each story and regularly revise it so that the idea stays fresh. However, this also distracts me from other projects. Another solution - which I do NOT recommend - is writing the story arcs simultaneously in the same greater story, which is what I'm currently doing (each story was already in the same universe, which makes it easier I think).

14. Drusy

Drusy Senior Member

Um, yeah. :) That's a little beyond where I'm at in my writing. Can I use an "lol" here? Cause it fits. I'm not that advanced.

15. TemporalV01D

TemporalV01D Member

Okay then, ignore that second part. xD

16. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

I have one main project and a few minor projects that I work on from time to time as a break from my main project. I have a tendency to get distracted easily so I'm constantly on my guard about that. There are times, though, when I just don't feel in the mood for working on my main project. At those times it's nice to have something else to write about so that I can at least stay active. Also working on a side project can be good practice. It gives me a chance to improve my skills in an environment that feels less critical to me. I can experiment more.

17. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I can't even begin to count how many projects I have in the works. Which is probably a big problem, but I find I have an easy solution as to how to deal with them.
    For the most part I'm focusing on one story, my main project I suppose you could call it. Right now I'm doing a lot of needed research for it, so when I get tired of researching, or I hit a road block, I'll try and do some writing skits with those characters. If I can't focus on that particular story at all, I'll see if one of my side projects will catch my interest, or if nothing works at all, I'll write a completely random writing skit about something I seen/did through the day (this is mostly so I can keep myself writing and not fall out of the habit and remain idle for several days).
    When it comes to new ideas though, I usually end up pounding out the flesh of the story (ie. characters, basic idea, setting, plot, and maybe a few chapters/scenes). Then I'll set them aside with the rest of the side projects and go back to the one I want to focus on the most. I find it's the easiest way for me to deal with the problem.

18. Drusy

Drusy Senior Member

@silverwolf I was just thinking about doing that... using writing prompts to develop my characters. Take a break from the main story but have fun ways to do short writing "skits".

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS REPLIED!

19. Searching4aMuse

Searching4aMuse Member

Currently, I'm only writing for fun. I post on various fiction sharing websites like wattpad/fictionpress and so on. I usually have 3 or more projects going at once. (I'm coming off a long bout of writer's block, so any writing is good for me!) I don't see it as a big deal since I'm not trying to get them published. If I was trying to get something published, I would most likely work at only the one project until it was finished, though!