1. LottieLab

LottieLab New Member

More than one story?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by LottieLab, Apr 26, 2012.

Ok, I still think my stories are too short:rolleyes:! So, I was thinking, what if I wrote a book compiled of short stories that I'd written. Would that be ok, or would it just seem a bit random? Would the stories need to be based around a theme or just odd stories?

2. aimeekath

aimeekath Senior Member

I don't know if they'd need a theme or not, but you get loads of books with short stories in them :)

3. LottieLab

LottieLab New Member

Ok, thanks! I once read a book of short stories written by well-known people and all the stories were 366 words long:D!

4. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

It's not a problem to write a compilation of short stories. They can be unrelated (Stephen King has done this a lot, for instance), but you can make them all related if you want. Check out John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles, for instance.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

As far as I've heard you're unlikely to get a compilation of short stories published if you're a previously unpublished writer. But if you just plan to write it for yourself and have friends and family read it, you can pretty much do whatever you feel like :)

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Tesoro is right. You're incredibly unlikely to get a publisher to accept a short story collection from an unknown author.

There's nothing wrong with being a short story author though (says the short story author :rolleyes: ). What you need to do with them, though, is try and sell them individually, to magazines and anthologies. Once you've made a bit of a name for yourself like that, you're more likely to get a publisher to take a gamble on a collection.

In terms of themed or unthemed... Well, I've seen both. It's probably worth taking a look at various short story collections, to see how they've been done.

7. LottieLab

LottieLab New Member

Ok, thank you! I was hoping to publish something but I guess that won't be the first book:redface:! So, how do you get magazines to include your work? Please be aware I'm an 11 year old, so how likely would they be to accept it? And how do you become known even through magazines?

8. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

Publishing a collection of short stories might be difficult for a first time author, but it's not impossible. I would think it's easier if the stories are connected, though.

As for publishing in magazines, I live in crappy Norway where we don't really have much of that stuff. But if we had magazines that publish stories from the readers, I would find a magazine who has similar stories to the ones I write, send them the story (it says how in the magazine) and hope they accept it. If they don't, I'd try another magazine, as well as keep writing stories and sending them to all interesting magazines.

Not sure if the age will be a problem, but it might be a problem with payment as you are quite young. If I were to take a guess, I think they can pay you if your parents allow it, or perhaps they pay your parents. The easiest way to figure out all this is to simply write them and ask. :)

9. LottieLab

LottieLab New Member

Thanks! But I don't know which magazines actually publish stories! The only ones I've seen are full of ponies and coloring pages!

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Start with Duotrope.