1. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Anime Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by soujiroseta, Sep 19, 2008.

I just finished watching an anime called Claymore which i must admit i liked very:) much but now im stone bored and i need a new anime to watch when im supposed to be working:p. Does anyone know of any good animes:confused:? I usually like ones with alot of action like sword stuff but any will do at the moment.:D

2. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Judging by you're avatar, I'm guessing that you're a fan of Rurouni Kenshin. You should check out Trigun. The main character, Vash, is similar to Kenshin in the whole no killing thing, except he uses a gun. Also, I would suggest FLCL (or sometimes called Fooly Cooly) and Samurai Champloo.

3. soujiroseta

thanks SD will definitely check them out:)

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I don't know which ones you've seen or not seen so I'll just list some of my favorites:

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, 52 episodes three unaired atm (Season 2 has R2 added at the end). Amazing series about the human condition. It's lighthearted half the time but it's spectacular.

Death Note, 37 episodes. A really good anime. I find it's a lot like Code Geass but takes a different approach to its main character and has a different setting.

Gundam Wing/Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, 50 episodes and 1 movie. Its the best of the Gundam series' imo.

Cowboy Bebop, 26 episodes. The animation is great, and the execution is amazing. The story is thin and mostly boring but the characters and the fight scenes (which are set and timed to match the music being played) are awesome.

Ghost in the Shell, 3 movies, and 52 episodes. I recommend both original movies, both seasons of the series (Stand Alone Complex) but not the third movie, Solid State Society. The third movie just wasn't that good compared to the rest of it.

Eureka Seven, 50 episodes. Its another weird anime with a plot that doesn't make much sense, but the characters and their interrelationships are very well developed.

Fullmetal Alchemist, 52 episodes, 1 Movie. Enough said. The movie Conqueror of Shamballa is also great, but watch the series first as the movie won't make any sense without it.

Gurren Lagann. Really really weird but its great fun.

Black Cat, 26 episodes. It's not the best but its a entertaining time.

Noein, 26 episodes. A very good anime with an amazing story line. The characters can be dull at times but I can't tell you what you'll learn about multiple deminsional theory from this show XD.

Any of the Miyazaki films. You will never be disappointed. Princess Mononoke, Nausica of the Valley of the Wind, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away are the best imo.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

6. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Lordofhats took all the good ones :/... Except Haruhi Suzumiya No Yuutsu! (It's my avatar) It's about this dude who meets this girl who is basically a reality-warper. She can bend the world to her will and the main characters have to keep that from happening. It's really good. It has a 14 episode anime, and 9 light novels (pretty good too). Death Note is really cool too, definitely check them out.

BTW, I was meaning to watch Bleach, what can you guys tell me about that? Is it any good?

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

A lot of folks I know love Bleach but I'm not a fan. You know how DBZ dragged everything out and had a lot of seemingly implausible plot twists where characters gain some crazy new power that saves them seemingly from no where? Yeah, that's Bleach, plus the first story arc, drags on and on for like 40 episodes when really it could have been done in 20. I'd watch a few episodes on youtube (if they're available) and see what you think.

Also, it's not Anime, but machinima is a kind of animation and you may want to check out the Halo comedy series Red vs Blue on Youtube, and after than the sequel Red vs Blue: Reconstruction. It's only available in english and there aren't any subtitles though. I don't know if that would be a problem. I've met lots of folks who read english perfectly but aren't so good at understanding it when it's spoken (I can read spanish but I'll be darned if I can carry a conversation in it).

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Some more would be

D-Gray Man
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.Gray-man

Ghost Hound
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Hound

Ghost Hunt
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Hunt

Jigoku Shoujo (both seasons are really good)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigoku_Shoujo

Sci-Fi Harry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Fi_Harry

Nabari no Ou
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabari_no_Ou

Kemonozume
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemonozume

9. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yeah! Red vs Blue is awesome! Watch it at youtube it's free and it's not very long. When you're done come back and try to tell me that Caboose isn't the funniest character ever.

10. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Oh, i just remembered. It's a very short series and was mostly released in an OVA movie format, but KARAS is a pretty damn good anime. Some of the best fights and animation I've seen in a long time.

Also, the 30 episode series, Wolf's Rain. Its got an excellent story line and a ending that brought me to tears... manly tears...

11. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Have you seen RvB:R? it's got much better animation and all the funny we love.

PS: My favorite characters are Griff, Sarge, Wash, and Church, but Caboose and the pink guy are by far the funniest characters.

PSS. I just refuse to call him private donut...

12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

13. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Hellsing (OVA or comic, not the anime, it sucks) - Vampires that are kick-ass and not wangst machines.

Mononoke (12 ep series NOT the movie, the two are entirely unrelated) - cool animation for a mystery anime about monsters in ancient Japan.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - A mysterious, irresponsible man joins the army in search of an easy life, after accidently rescuing a retired admiral he is promoted to captain of his own ship (it's in space). No one's quite sure if he's a lucky idiot or a tactical genius.

---I heard RvB: R isn't as good as RvB, less funny and Tucker and Donut are MIA but I've been curious about it.

14. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

15. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

lol at this rate souji will be so busy watching Anime I'll be able to march into hat land unhindered XD.

S-cry-ed. A 26 episodes series that's fun to watch and has some very thought provoking characters.

I can't believe I forgot, but you should look up Neon Genesis Evangelion. A good anime about the human condition with some inaccurate but interesting offhand references to the Bible and the Kabalah.

Also, Last Exile and Trigun are very good.

*begins sneaking towards hat land*

16. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yeah, I only saw it until the 5th episode but I've been meaning to see it all. Oh, btw "IT'S LIGHTISH RED".

It's somewhat less funny but it provides insight into the whole RvB world and it has a far stupider caboose. They keep him tied to a post.

Oh, and i forgot. .hack is one of the best franchises out there. 4 ps2 games, one anime, several books and a bunch of graphic novels. Check out the anime if you want to get into it fast, it's about Tsukasa, a kid who has been trapped in a MMORPG. it's pretty cool.

17. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Yeah, they have a name for lightish red. You know what it's called? PINK!

Who's strawberry shortcake?

Ah :D classic Reds.

It's not Japanese Anime, but you might want to check out Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's an american animated series produced by Cartoon Network but it has a very anime-ish feel and tone. It's 60 episodes in three seasons and its possibly the best Cartoon to come out of the US in like... well... when was Scooby-Doo? Oh right, the 70's XD.

18. soujiroseta

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, im not sure i'll be able to check out all of them ut im sire ill find something i like.

Caboose and donut rule.

19. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

20. soujiroseta

:eek:
    not so fast Lt Mc Muffin!:D

21. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

22. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

The Irrisponsible Captain Tylor: Great, funny, random.
    FLCL: Great, funny, random.
    Outlaw Star: Exciting, and funny.
    Dragonball: Wierd, exciting.

23. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

That is true about Tucker and Donut.. There's a rumor that Donut's voice actor left Roosterteeth. So far Tex hasn't materialized either (though her body ahs apparently pulled a disappearing act XD). I assume all the character will materialize eventually.

The series now is about as funny as Season 5. Not as good as 1-3 but still pretty damn funny and much funnier than Season 4. Washington is a great addition to the cast and there have been quite a few moments in the series that outdo the original RvB imo. It's worth checking out.

24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

25. soujiroseta

ive seen all the RVB episode up to RVB:R 14 which is this weeks one. Unfortunately ladies Donut is dead and although Wash can't replace him he does a darn good job at trying.