1. CodyThomas

CodyThomas New Member

Morning, or night?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CodyThomas, Feb 16, 2013.

In the last few weeks I've been writing WAY more then I ever have in the past and I've noticed a strange thing happening. What I write in the morning has a different feel to it then what I write at night.

I seem to write more in the morning, but what I write at night is more stylistic and controlled. At night, if I read what I wrote that morning, it seems bland. On the flip-side if in the morning I read what I wrote at night I feel like I over did it. In the morning my mind moves quicker (with the help of caffeine of course), but at night I feel more in control of what I'm writing. I can't quite tell what I like best; they both have their pros and cons. Sorry if I just confused you.

I just want to know if this phenomenon is a common occurrence. Do any of you notice the same thing with your writing? Do you prefer to write in the morning, or at night? Does any of this even make sense, or am I just nuts?

2. Luxin

Luxin Member

I have that same occurence hapen to me. I find that in the morning I write faster and a lot more than I would at night or during the day. That s why I like the morning better because it may seem bland at all, but there is a little thing called "editing", making the story into a long beautiful masterpiece.

3. CodyThomas

CodyThomas New Member

Good to know I'm not alone. Maybe I'll save the writing for the morning, and edit at night. I will try that this weekend and see how it goes.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can and do write any time i have something to write waiting to be set down... it matters not what time of day/night it is, or where i am... and the quality of my writing doesn't change with time of day or location...

but if you notice such a difference in your writing, then of course you should pay attention to that and let it guide your working process...

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

If you're concerned about maintaining a consistency of tone and style, you could try this: First, begin each writing session, whether morning or night, be rereading what you wrote the previous session. That will help you recover the mood you were in at that time. Second, before writing more of your project, write a few scratch pages - pages that won't be part of your story. These can just be notes, journal entries, rants about whatever's bugging you at the time, ideas for other stories, anything. These scratch pages are just for clearing your throat, so to speak, before you sing. When you feel ready, go ahead with your day's work.