Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Most Secretive White House Ever?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Feb 6, 2014.

Maybe not ever, but NYT Executive Editor says it is the most secretive back through and including the Reagan administration.

Lack of transparency is but one issue that disappointed me with the Obama White House, and but one reason that despite voting for Obama the first time, I voted for Jill Stein in the last election.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/01/jill-abramson-this-is-the-most-secretive-white-house-181742.html

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't know about most secretive ever, but it's the most secretive that I know of. I think there are two reasons for this. One, the government is starting to control the major media outlets. Thus, these major outlets are only reporting on what the government allows them to report on. I'm finding that I have to turn to independent journalism to know what's really going on in this country.

Two, a lot of liberals are not being as critical as they should; as long as Obama identifies himself as a Democrat, they're happy. That's why there have been so many scandals involving the administration, most notably all the whistleblowers we've had. If people, especially liberals, put more pressure on the administration, I have no doubt we'd see some changes (however minor they may be).

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

@thirdwind - your second point is a key one, in my view. As soon as Obama took over, what happened to all the war demonstrators? Critics of drone programs, &c. They went down drastically in number and/or volume.

Of course, the GOP electorate does the same thing. The problem with party-first types (which we have too many of in this country) is that they only care about whether their team is in power, and very little about any kind of principle or substance. So Obama gets a pass on things Bush got criticized for, and by the same token GOPers who were seemingly content during Bush are critical of Obama on the same issues.

4. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not sure about the White House, but a similar thing can be said about the Canadian PMO and even about the local governments. It seems to be a trend all around.

5. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Fitzroy Zeph likes this.
  6. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

The funny thing about that is, Obama has bragged about using drones to kill people, and the drone program has widened more and more to including spying on citizens in the U.S. with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.