1. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

Mostly me talking to myself, but you are welcome to read it too.

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by dreamersky1212, Sep 5, 2015.

I have been reading other progress journals and have vacillated on whether or not to do my own for quite some time. The thing is that I am a slow but steady writer. I write about 1,000-1,500 words a day. I usually only write on weekdays, leaving my weekends free to be...well...the non obsessive novel writing me. So, I don't really need this journal for accountability.

Sure, it would be great if I could have one of those 15,000 word days and cut a huge amount of time out of the drudgery that is the physical process of writing (be it handwritten or typed). But I can't seem to do it. It's almost like my brain has a valve that turns on and off my creativity quota for the day. At some point in my writing (the aforementioned 1,000-1,500 words) I can just feel that I am done. If I try to write anymore that day then everything that comes out seems forced and just plain bad.

So, if not for accountability then what? Well, I wanted to start this journal as more of a blog to myself. Others are free to read and respond (advice is also welcome), but I have just felt stuck over the past month about my inability to talk to anyone in my life about my writing. I am your average underpaid and over-educated American woman. I have a day job and a life outside of writing. When I decided to accept the journey that is novel writing I didn't realize how much it would feel like I HAVE to talk about it. I want to tell everyone. I want to talk to my family members and friends about it. I want to tell my coworkers and the people passing me on the street.

Me walking down the street, lost in my own world. I see a stranger walking his dog...
    "Hey dude! I don't know you and I know you probably really don't care, but I am writing a novel!"
    Stranger dude looks at me like I am crazy and shuffles his dog past me like I might just lash out and hurt the poor beastie with my crazy stick.

Yeah, that is me this past month and a half. So, why not just write a blog? Well, I both am and am not talking to myself. For the most part, it is pure catharsis of getting my emotions out. But then I also want to have it read. After considering starting a blog I decided that the catharsis beat the readership. This is not really about others, it is about me. I need to get this stuff out of me or I will start to scare small children with the overzealous oversharing.

So, this is day 46 of writing my WIP. I officially reached 50,000 words today. To add some whipped cream to that sundae, I just wrote what has to be my favorite scene ever (okay not ever, but ever written by me). It was the kind of scene where when it is done you just sit back and smile to yourself because you know that what you wrote is the best you have. That was my day. Tomorrow I plan on breaking my non-weekend writing rule and finishing this chapter. I feel like I must, so I shall.

I don't know if I will write here every day. I think, for this to function as I want it to, this will be a as needed kind of thing. If something, good or bad, happened with my writing, I shall proclaim it to the world in this very Thread/blog/progress journal...thing.

Until then,
    Thanks for reading.

Lifeline and GuardianWynn like this.
  2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributing Member Contributor

The need to talk. I know that feeling. You are welcome to PM me any time. :) I will always listen. Sometimes I will be tired and might reply more like a zombie but I will always try. :D

3. dreamersky1212

Word count 60,253.

Why does it feel like I am writing nothing even when I am? I know that it isn't rational. I can tell myself to stop expecting miracles and yet, I still do. I set word count goals every week, but I never meet them. I am still writing, but it truly does feel like the closer I get to the end...the slower the writing is taking me. Right now, I am only 20,000 words to goal, but it somehow feels like it is taking an absurdly long time to get there.

Sigh...

Maybe it was just a really long day. Maybe tomorrow I will be excited about all of this like I was when I started.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  4. GuardianWynn

:friend::friend::friend::friend:
    Word count isn't always the best measure of progress. Sometimes learning something about your story can be the most ground breaking moment. Whether from a sudden realization or kind words of a critic. Yet these moments which will mean so much have a 0 word count update.

10,000 words can have little value if they are rushed and don't mean much.

You are doing great. :D and even if your progress is slow, you are still making progress and that is great.:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

HUGS!!!!:friend::friend::friend::friend::friend:

I hope you feel better soon. :angle:

5. dreamersky1212

Word count 80,425

I crossed over goal today, and yet the novel still isn't done. I am at the big battle scene, then resolution. I think I'm probably going to wind up around 85,000 words. I have thought about it and really don't think I could cut any of the story. Edits here and there, of course. But every scene and chapter seems to be an integral part of the plot. I am slightly worried that as a first time author, the word count could get my story passed over before it even had a chance.

I don't know, maybe I am stressing too much and should just focus on finishing it. :write::superyesh:

But yeah....80,000 words in two and a half months.....I kind of like that.:supercool:

6. GuardianWynn

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:
    :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

For one. I think word count preferences are ranges. I don't think any publisher expects 80,000 exactly. It isn't like they are going to be "79,999! Away with thus bad product!" I don't they will do that for 5k over. Plus EDITING! It is true! While the main core of your book is done or will be done. Editing is a monster that that will change that number. Your end count after editing may be 90? or that 80 you wanted or 75. See even if you don't think you can cut content. You may notice at points you were being over wordy, which means while keeping the content the same the count might get smaller. Plus no one knows what a publisher will say. They might like the 85k :D

:friend::friend:
    :friend::friend:

7. dreamersky1212

S0, I finally finished today...well maybe. I may or may not do an epilogue. It depends on how my beta readers respond to the ending. If they want more, then I will put in the epilogue. I have immediately started editing, something I am told never to do. But hey, what is advice for but to ignore?

So right now I am at 92,781, but this number will change throughout the edit. Right now I am not editing anything major (like whole scenes or chapters) just rewording some awkward phrasing or cutting unnecessary words here and there. And punctuation, because I suck at punctuation. Thank god for Grammarly!

As I sit here having eaten my celebratory dinner and holding my celebratory drink (raspberry Smirnoff because I am a girl who likes her girly drinks), I am happy and yet even more nervous than I was when I started this thing. Because, writing was all about me. Could I do it? Would I do it? Would I do it well, or on time or reach my word count goal...and so on.

But now, sigh, now I have to prepare for rejection. I have to make this story the best that it can be and send it out into the world knowing that there are going to be many people that pass on it. Whether it was my writing or the story, I will most likely never know. Instead I, like all the writers before me, will have to suck it up and keep trying.

Yup....kind of terrifying.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  8. GuardianWynn

Terrifying but also invirgorating? To reach that finishline? Such an amazing accomplishment, right?

I know what you mean. I caught myself asking publisher questions to myself. And I realized. That the very act of thinking how a publisher would react to the concept was a sign that I am one more step towards that goal.

For me it is terrifying and invirgorating! :D

I am happy for you. :) Three Cheers!
    Cheer
    Cheer
    Cheer
    :D

If you ever need moral support. I am one PM away. :)

9. dreamersky1212

Wow, so I just realized I haven't updated this thread in over 6 months, which is just...

Oops...

So, the updates are that I finished editing Book 1 and have been slogging through the trenches of query hell. It took me 25 rejections to realize that there was something wrong with my pitch. So I sent the query and first chapter to a freelance editor and she gave me some important advice. I still had to do the work of restructuring my pitch, but I don't think I would have seen what was wrong with my query. I was just too close to it.

And I am happy to report that it seems to have worked! I got my first full manuscript request last week! To top it off, she is one of my dream agents, so I am really crossing my fingers (and my toes, and my eyes too for good measure) that she likes my story.

Her reading time is two months, and (even though there is no way she possibly could have read it since yesterday when I finally sent it off) I am compulsively checking my email every five minutes. I feel like I am losing my mind! I mean come on! I'm a rational person, I am not an email junky...and yet I can't stop....

In other news I am 35,000 words into Book 2, which is taking much longer than I had anticipated. Mostly because of life things getting in the way and putting it on pause to compulsively edit and reedit Book 1. Though I am happy to say that I've reached that elusive wall when it comes to Book 1. I feel like if I read it even once more, I may scream. Which, I am told, is a point most authors reach at some point. So, yay! I am normal with my abnormalities!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    GuardianWynn and Lifeline like this.
  10. DeadMoon

DeadMoon Contributing Member Contributor

I would be checking my email all the time too. :) good luck with everything

dreamersky1212 likes this.
  11. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

*deleted

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. dreamersky1212