1. Nisa Hawkins

Nisa Hawkins Member

Motivation

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Nisa Hawkins, Aug 7, 2014.

I'm in a strange period: I would write, but I don't feel motivated! What can I do? What are your advices?

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributing Member Contributor

My own fantasy world, living the good life
    I just tell myself that I won't get better if I don't write. That I won't be that famous author I've wanted to be since I was like 7 unless I sit down and write my damn book. That's what gets me writing almost every time.

AndyC and minstrel like this.
  3. AndyC

AndyC Member

Some times when I don't know what to write, I start writing "fan-fictions" of my own stories. I set different universes with same characters, different characters on the same universe. Different plots, settings, and so on. After that, I find new ideas for the actual story, and that motivates me to keep writing.

Besides that, go with what Ulramar's said. It something I always tell myself and, surprisingly, it works.

minstrel likes this.
  4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I am rarely lacking in motivation to write - I never "just don't feel like it". If I am stuck on something, or dissatisfied with the quality of what I'm writing, I will take a break for a while - with music, cooking or sports. Then, I come back when I'm fresh.

Sometimes, I get tired or frustrated with a particular project, and that's a signal to switch gears. But, frankly, the problem of finding enough time to write, or edit, or research is the far more common problem.

Motivation is a door that is locked from the inside. Only you can unlock it. I wish you luck.

peachalulu and T.Trian like this.
  5. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

Whenever I feel this way I unplug, find a nice park, and go for a trip there to embrace nature. That usually helps. When I get back, ideas have usually sprung into some form.

Therefore--do something else you enjoy that'll recharge the batteries.

6. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Like @EdFromNY I don't really suffer from this either, but I do suffer from motivating myself to do other things, and usually eliminating the reasons not do so something usually works. Ask yourself why you don't want to write. It can be anything and you have to be honest.

For example, if it's financial ("why should I bother writing if I'm not gonna make any money out of it?") change your writing philosophy to thinking of writing as a hobby (not being paid, or even published) and do it because you enjoy it.

If it's time, you need to find that regular window. Discipline is key, and so is a routine when you write. I put aside a day a week to write and nothing gets in the way of that. I'm lucky, yeah, but you don't need a day. Just time to say this is always yours and stick with it.

If it's inspiration that can be solved by a million different things, from reading to going for long walks. Hell I'd recommend reading books by writers about writing. Steven Pressfield's the War of Art is a good one.
    If you're going through a period of poor mental health, it could be more difficult to concentrate, so try to keep your life simple to give you more clarity.

These are just a few ideas, but like Ed says only you can unlock this problem by looking through all the issues in your life that might affect your writing.

7. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

Consider the reason for telling your story.

If you don't feel motivated to write it, why would others be motivated to read it?

Find the part of your story idea that you're passionate about. Focus on that. Read books of a similar style and genre. Read your own writing. Read about how to write. Watch writing videos. Watch movies. Watch anything that gets you in a creative mood, and use that spark to find the passion in your project, because the emotions that compelled you to generate an idea in the first place are the same emotions the reader is going to latch onto.

That's what your story is really about, and if that is not enough to get you to write, perhaps it's best to move onto a project that you are passionate about.

Nisa Hawkins and peachalulu like this.
  8. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Actually I find myself writing to find my motivation. I rarely write in a flurry of excitement for the project. Or at least not to start with. I find that if I can get started - grumbling and disinterested, it changes. The excitement and the motivation comes from the act of writing and the scene finally taking shape. Of course usually by then it's 1 in the morning. Lol.

I also like what Sheriff Woody said - watching movies can trigger me into action. I get tired of being the passive audience, I want to create something that someone enjoys.

9. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

Movies are great to get motivated, but I strongly recommend a broad scope for viewing. People tend not to watch anything older than themselves. This saddens me. Not only are there some truly amazing classic masterpieces out there just waiting to be discovered, but older films were told somewhat differently than many films of today, and opening yourself to a new approach to story or character or dialogue (ESPECIALLY dialogue) can be just the creative spark someone needs.

Here is a list of a few titles currently streaming on Netflix in the USA that I recommend to anyone and everyone...

Once Upon A Time In The West
    The Apartment
    Double Indemnity
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Witness For the Prosecution
    The Grapes of Wrath
    12 Angry Men
    Days of Heaven

And here's a bunch of stellar foreign films that I love...

The Silence
    The Painting
    Trollhunter
    The Man From Nowhere
    Y tu mama tambien
    A Hijacking
    Ip Man

peachalulu likes this.
  10. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Ditto this! And what fun they're missing. There's such a wide range in classics from every decade. You don't have to just watch the award winners ( not that they're not great but they totally exclude stellars like Alfred Hitchcock or film noir ). Sometimes it's more inspiring to watch the lighthearted or even pure junk movies.

I love a good oddball movie, some of my faves - Lord Love a Duck, Bunny Lake is Missing, The Driver's Seat, Babydoll, Wanda Nevada, The Major and the Minor and Gal Young 'un.

Sheriff Woody likes this.
  11. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Link the Writer likes this.
  12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Speaking of Cracked, one of their articles by David Wong called Ways You're Sabotaging Your Own Life (without knowing it) has a few interesting points:

+ When you come up with a motivation, ask yourself why and the consequences if you don't do what you want to do/need to do.

+ Start small. Like he said, you're not writing a whole book, you're just writing a bit of it today.

+ If you want to be someone different ten years from now, start working on it today. If all you do is imagine yourself ten years from now, then that's exactly what you'll be doing ten years later. You have to work at it if you wan to get there.

13. Nisa Hawkins

Nisa Hawkins Member

I'm very very happy! Thank you to all for your advices! I'm starting to write a short story and this is useful for me, because now I feel that I can keep my main story! I can see other images and I can see new dialogues and new situations! Listening your advices now I know how create my new character and how to overcome this sort of "block". Than you very very much! I agree, to be passionate to own story is important to write a wonderful story and to impassion the readers!

Thank you!

I'm writing a short story, I hope to show it to you as soon as!