1. Lily

Lily Member

Motivation

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lily, Dec 27, 2007.

I'm sure everyone goes through this from time to time. I haven't written anything in two weeks. Perhaps because of the holidays? I don't know, but it's concerning me. I'm trying to force myself to write but it doesn't flow as well as usual.
    Anyone have any suggestions on motivation tips?
    One thing that usually works for me is to see a lot of movies I've always enjoyed, or read a book, or whatever. Maybe I'm just burnt out.
    Under the surface I guess things are always fermenting, my ideas and characters becoming more apparent - but how do I keep myself going?

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

Two weeks Lily, that is nothing. I don't write for months on end, then suddenly cannot stop writing. just bear with it, write every time the mood takes you and look back at your older peices to hopefully find your muse again. Everyone gets over Writers Block. :)
    Heather

3. daisydaisy

daisydaisy Member

Two weeks? I haven't written anything in months!!

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

1st - Don't force yourself. Writing if a fluent expression which comes out naturally - keep it that way.
    2nd - I do this: I consider writing as entertainment. So, I entertain myself in many ways, but I'll just consider talking to myself, walking TV/normal entertainment and writing right now. So, when I can't write, I talk to myself and/or watch TV. In a few days' or even in a few hours, I'm ready to write again because entertainment is fun only if it is varied.
    3rd - What others said.

5. Shreyass

Shreyass Senior Member

Lie down for a bit, plots and ideas - if you're really into writing - will start forming, pen down a few notes, and when you feel like it, start writing. When you really get into a new project, set yourself a daily quota. Mine, right now, is 5000 words a day for the last two days, and today its barely afternoon and I'm more than halfway through my quota, so that helps. But if its not coming, don't force it. I'm a binge writer too, I didn't write anything for like six months, and now I'm going crazy :p

6. wordwizard

wordwizard Contributing Member

Ya I havent been writing either, or reviewing! I just come on every once in awhile to browse. I think it has something to do with the holidays and being sick for me. There are some great suggestions here, that we can all try..thanks for the thread Lily.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think there are two situations though. The first is that you are trying to come up with a writing project, and nothing comes to mind. That's classic writers block. There are many, many strategies to try, but none that work for everyone.

The other situation is when you have a writing project, and you find you've gone days or longer without touching it. I believe there's one way to attack that, and that is to set time aside each day for it, even if what you write on certain days ends up in the bucket. What is important there is to develop a working discipline, and stick to it.

And track it, too. Mark off each day that you work on the project on a calendar, preferably with the amount of time you devoted to it that day. Don't count words, or you will be too hesitant to edit out sections because they will look like "negative progress"; they are not. Removing the fat from a piece is every bit as important as adding content.

When you are done, you will also have a pretty good measure for estimating how long your next project will take, in terms of final word count and total hours of effort.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'writer's block' is like 'jet lag'... if you don't believe it exists, you won't have it... i've traveled all over the world and never have jet lag, because i don't believe it's anything real... i just set my watch to the time where i'll be, sleep as much as i can in transit, and then go about my day/night when i arrive, as i would normally... if i'm tired, i might take a brief nap, but i can't really recall ever needing to... otherwise, i just do what the hour calls for...

same thing applies to the so-called 'writer's block'... it's really just an excuse for not wanting to write, or not being in the mood to write, or not being sure where to go next, with a piece of work... if i get stuck on one thing, i'll just work on another thing till an idea hits for the first one... but when i don't feel like writing, i don't cop out and call it a 'block'... i just admit i'm not in the mood and wait till i am...

don't make so much of it, and you'll see it occurring less often...

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yes, but writers block is easy to get rid of.
    Write any way despite your writers block you'll still write something. And then when you write your writer's block story if you reread your story and say this is crud you may get an actual idea.

Or you can read and or listen to music.
    When I write my stories I'm generally listening to music.
    Music can influence you.

10. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    Every writer needs to take a break sometime. So take one, if you need it, and come back to whatever you were working on later. In the meantime, find something else to do/write. You can write a poem, a story, some lyrics, or maybe you just want to forget writing and grab a good book. Never give up, though. Check back on your old project frequently and see if you're ready to continue. I hope I helped. :)