Movie Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by starseed, Jun 3, 2009.

1. MarcG

MarcG New Member

A movie attempting to be serious but failing miserably. Listen for the "whoop!" slipping sound in the Batman & Robin movie (with George Clooney) when they are at the auction and a henchman slips when Robin throws something at his feet. Any movie that uses that sound should be burned.

Any point in the movie where you are actually paying attention and you do a double take. Like most horror movies. Example: "Oh no! The murderer is outside and it's dark!" says the naive schoolgirl. "Let's make a run for it! It's dark, we don't know where we are, and this guy obviously knows a thousand ways to kill us without a problem. Did I mention it's dark?", says the charmingly simple linebacker boyfriend. Skip ahead to ten minutes later and the boyfriend is dead, the girl stabbed the murderer, and everything is alright. Except for everybody that died. But at least the special effects were good...prolific amounts of blood that poured out of every wound, to the point where a papercut would stain an entire living room set...well, they sucked too, I guess. But that absolutely pointless shower scene that was overdone to show some goddamn catharsis sure kept those 12 year old boys occupied for a few minutes. If someone wants to see nudity and a bunch of morons who can't act get naked in a shower while some guy watches from the window, they'd go to the adult section of the video store. *catches breath*

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

But that IS the slasher genre. Gratuitous sex and violence and nudity. And all the wicked teens get gruesomely murdered for their iniquities, except for the naive, morally centered survivor.

3. zorell

zorell New Member

I have a few pet peeves with movies.

Action movies:
    >you're running from an inanimate object that is somehow projecting towards you. It cannot change direction, YOU CAN (and yet they never do until the last moment)!
    >how many cars can you damage in an hour and where do you keep getting them from?
    >(and this is against the Transporter series) if your first boss screwed you over and your second boss screwed you over, and probably your third boss...FIND A NEW LINE OF WORK!
    >and please tell me how people always seem to know every little detail to "solve" the problem and we have to watch it get stretched to eternity...?

I love musicals and singing in movies, but please explain:
    >how everybody knows the choreography even though five seconds ago you were just "walking on the street"?
    >why it is that you "just wrote this/came up with this" yet the band knows the entire song including the parts where you're not even singing?
    >and why every musical is finding its way on ice?
    >(High School Musical, I'm talking to you) if the first two movies were made for tv and not even that good, why would you put the third one on the big screen?

Horror films:
    >(I wanted to slap Paris Hilton's character for this) if you're on one side of a car and the killer is on the other, why would you look UP when you can just as easily look DOWN and see his feet...you deserved to die for that one...
    >the creepy old lady that gets mad at you, apologize to her because she's usually the one that sets things against you
    >you're getting chased by a murderer- DO NOT TELL TOMMY YOU LOVE HIM, that is how you die!
    >stop screaming, just stop, you could be running
    >Why do the girls always trip and turn around to see if the chaser caught up? Just get back up and start running again.
    >If the guy wants to kill you, your jock status is not going to save you, he is still going to kill you!
    >if you're being chased by a killer, do not scream for your friends by their names...that's how one fatality always turns into ten
    >and, most importantly, if you are being chased: DO NOT RUN INTO A CORNER OR ANYWHERE WITHOUT A WAY OUT...if there's only one way in the room, then, say bye-bye to life:)

And don't get me started on spoofs...or romantic comedies...:rolleyes:

I do love going to the movies though:D:D

4. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I try not to see these in theater (if at all). I don't like watching a movie while a real life episode of The Hills is happening behind me.

5. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

People about SEVEN FEET TALL (keep in mind I'm not quite 5'0" ) have this radar to find me and sit in front of me. I almost always have to change my seat about three times, if there are even seats available to move to. And usually when I move to my final clear-view seat, some nasty kid starts kicking my seat.

I'll never forget, it was the first Pirates of the Caribbean opening night, and I switched seats with my friend because some ridiculous child was kicking my seat after I asked him to stop politely.
    Can you believe that @#%&ing kid moved to sit right behind me again!? I got up in the middle of the film to ask his mother to control her ugly kid or move him out of the theatre, and she has the gall to tell me that I'm disrupting her enjoyment of the film. WTF!?
    I screamed after the film was over, right in her face. Got my $10 back, too. What a horrible experience.

--

The actual content of the films, though... I cant stand it when:
    - In a romantic film, the leading male does something really stupid in hopes of getting the girl --like skywriting "(Name here), will you marry me?" But not just skywriting; it could be a blimp, or an airplane with the text traveling from the tail, or FIREWORKS, which isnt even freaking possible...

- Or when Jamie Lee Curtis drops that stupid knife about four times in 15 minutes in the very first Halloween and somehow thinks Michael is really dead this time... :rolleyes:

- Penis jokes. One might be funny, the second is excessive, and the third bores me. "You Dont Mess with the Zohan" for example. It was the first and only movie I actually walked out of. Disgusting...

I hate movies, I really do.

6. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I want a movie where everybody truly dies in the end. Main Character, main character's lover, and all of the side characters. Except one guy you only saw once in the whole movie.

7. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I think you pretty much just described Hamlet.

Merc: That happens to me at concerts. I somehow always end up behind the tallest person there.

8. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Computers in movies. Why does the computer always tell the MC the correct time it will take to upload/download a file. I wish my computer would do that, but Nooooo, it's all this "6 minutes.... 6 minutes.... 6 minutes (it's been six minutes for three whole minutes now!)... 10 minutes (What? where did 7, 8, 9 go?).... 8 minutes (but it's only been ten minutes for 30 seconds).... 6 minutes... 6 minutes..." crap.

Action films. MC and villain (or main henchperson) always have unlimited ammo until one is about to shoot the other. Then they run out.

9. zorell

zorell New Member

Ooh, about the ammo thing.

How is it that the bad guys can shoot off a hundred rounds and MAYBE graze the good guy yet the good guy hits them the first (and maybe the second) shot?

10. Lavarian

Another annoyance: When the bad guy loses by diving forward and impaling himself on something the good guy is holding.

Way overdone.

11. zorell

zorell New Member

:rolleyes: You ain't kiddin':rolleyes: That and the Matrix references. What especially pisses me off is that the move that everyone calls "the Matrix" was actually from a movie called "The One" that came out a couple of years before the Matrix.

12. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Did someone mention movie spoofs? Just write your own f***ing screenplay instead of making fun of everyone else's ideas. Christ, I hate spoofs.

I also hate throwing slutty b****es into a movie for no reason. If it helps to advance the plot or set up a scene in some way, then fine. But if you can't get people interested in seeing your movie without throwing in some boobies, then you need to rewrite that business.

And finally, I hate, hate hate it when people applaud at the end of a movie. It's not a play. Don't applaud. I don't know why that bothers me so much, but it does.

Oh, and all of you who have dealt with extremely obnoxious/rude people...go find a theater employee and have them kicked out. I worked at a movie theater for a few years, and most movie theater employees love kicking people out.

13. starseed

starseed New Member

I think My best friends wedding was a great movie. Not only was it heartfelt but as you said, it didn't go for the cheesy bull**** ending which I appreciate. The fact that Cameron Diaz ends up with the guy made me so happy. Even though I didn't like her. It just seemed more realistic. Funny movie too.

Horror films are in a completely separate category, for me. I enjoy them when they are the MOST cliche and the most awful. I make a regular hobby out of trying to find the most terrible horror films and laughing with my friends about how lame they are. It's enjoyable. :D

Also, when it comes to romantic comedies, I enjoy GOOD romantic comedies. Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin are two good examples of comedies which I found blissfully funny yet sweet at the same time.

Bad romantic comedies= anything with a terrible tagline or title. Such as Made of Honor or that one movie with Catherine Zeta Jones, I can't remember what its called but she plays a chef and tagline was something really ridiculous like "Love doesn't come made to order". Ugh.

OH I THOUGHT OF ANOTHER ONE. I HATE when a character says something funny or insulting about another character OUT LOUD and then has to cover for it by saying "Oh I said, [Insert nice phrase which rhymes with or sounds similar to the insult they said]" I realize they do this because they think there is no way of showing what the character is thinking but 1)That's crap, because facial expressions show it MUCH better in a more subtle way, and 2) NO ONE says their thoughts out loud to themselves with the other person right there unless they want them to hear it. And if they want them to hear it, they aren't going to try and cover for it in some sneaky cute little way. So annoying!

14. starseed

starseed New Member

LMAO. Good idea. I want to write a book like this.

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

How about the latest one:

All the heroes have wives that are pregnant.

16. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Hey, at least it's better than the "whore of the week" mentality.

17. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Or even how all the latest movies are about:

Terrorism or have some slight part of terrorism in them

18. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Battle scenes featuring characters who don't look like they're actually fighting each other. As much as I love Star Wars, it is quite guilty of this. More often than not, the combatants look like they're attacking each other's blades. They don't look like they're trying to kill each other at all.

19. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

If you think Star Wars is bad, you need to go to your local library and check out some anime. Go on, I dare you.

20. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

It's excusable in anime since it doesn't involve real people. For me, it sticks out a lot more when two live bodies are attacking their opponent's weapon rather than their opponent.

Animated Star Wars, though, is much better. Particularly the recently released cinematic trailer for The Old Republic. *hearts*

21. Unus_Vir

Unus_Vir New Member

Yeah, that's always the worst when they're moving in and talking about something that's actually subtext for sex or making out or something like that.

22. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Ahhh Anime – Ridiculously big weapons, even more ridiculously well endowed female characters, Giant battle robots with ridiculous sounding names.

23. starseed

starseed New Member

LOL. Terminator Salvation.

24. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Anime always has nearly all the clothes blown off the female characters in an explosion but never the male's. Like non-anime films, come to think of it. And when characters get smaller their clothes do, too. When they get bigger, like Hulk, the clothes turn into shorts with little ragged edges. Why ragged edges?

25. Lavarian

Terrorism is a pretty broad term and has been in films for a long, long time.