Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Watched Bone Tomahawk (Kurt Russel, et al.).

Was entertained.

Mordred85 likes this.
  2. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

That was a decent flick, so was The Revenant. I just got back from watching Macbeth, nice and gritty. I didn't mind the Scottish accents, but if you're not used to Shakespeare, it's easy to get lost in the dialogue.

3. lastresort

lastresort Banned

OK here are movies that impacted me deeply:
    Chariots of fire-I was only 25 when I saw it, and went for a 10km run, straight after such was the power of it. I'll never forget Ian Charleson speech after a regional race in Scotland.
    The Mission-the music, the scenery , the actors and the story "if might is right then love has no place in the world"
    Officer and a Gentleman-some sad side story but gere was inspirational as was louis gossett junior

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

5. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

I can't recommend this enough. Watch on Netflix immediately. Sooooo good:

[​IMG]

Malisky and (deleted member) like this.
  6. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Just saw Hail, Caesar! yesterday. Simply brilliant; want to watch it again already. The Coen Brothers remain cinematic geniuses, and my personal heroes.

Lewdog likes this.
  7. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

The Witch was great. It didn't rely on jump scares, and it had good acting, good writing, and a pervasive atmosphere of unease that was terrific. Among other horror movies of the same ilk, I prefer it over The Babadook and It Follows.

8. Kevin Mackinnon

Kevin Mackinnon New Member

10 Cloverfield Lane is really creepy. However it's practically a stand alone movie; a far removal from the first. Fine with me I can't take that first person stuff anyway.

9. Kevin Mackinnon

Kevin Mackinnon New Member

10. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Batman v. Superman was a decent movie. It's long, so I had to get up like twice to take a piss, so I missed probably 15 minutes of it total, but I don't think they were any good parts. Some things did seem kind of "mushed" together. The new Doomsday origin is a tad silly. Don't expect to see much of the rest of the JLA team either if you go to see it. I will say Wonderwoman is a bad ass. She holds her own against Doomsday, despite not really having any super powers...there is a HUGE spoiler so be careful what sites you click on to read about the movie before you see it.

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Saw Marie's Story yesterday on Netflix. Basically, imagine the story of Helen Keller if she were a French girl in 1890s France, and her caretaker/companion was a nun who believed she was more than some wild savage blind-deaf child. On the whole, it followed the same formula except for one vast improvement: it showed Marie's relationship with the other nuns in the school for deaf girls and took care to show how close she was to her teacher.

It was a very interesting movie, worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.

12. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Caught part of Fitzcarraldo on TV. I've always enjoyed Herzog's documentaries but don't think I've seen any of his feature films before. It seemed interesting, great cinematography especially. But basic cable just has too many ads and I no longer have the attention span to sit through them all.

When I first turned it on I found myself wondering why every Indian and missionary in the Amazonian backwater spoke fluent German, but then remembered that this same thing happens in every American movie (except with English instead of German), and I never notice it there. An interesting moment in Anglo-centrism.

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Watching Chiraq. I heard all this bad stuff about it being sexist because the women's value is based on their sexual qualities.

I'm not finding that at all. It's a clever rap musical, lots of interesting pieces all woven together. Spike Lee classic, touching on cultural and social issues without holding back on anything. And all with one big message.

I give it a two thumbs up.

14. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

"... what you got is what we need, all we do is dirty deeds-"

"WE'RE THE SPACEBALLS."

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    The Forbidden Zone

Pretty sure I went on an acid trip, or something. None the less it was entertaining if not off the charts on the weird shit'o'meter. (and that speaks volumes coming from me) :supersmile:

Shattered Shields likes this.
  16. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Did anyone see Zootopia? Ugh. I almost died of cheese. It was really funny, but I wish it was a little more clever so I could avoid rolling my eyes through parts of it. If you really like animals i'm sure you've probably already watched it. If you are not a fan of kids movies I'd probably stay away from it.

17. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The Big Short It should be required viewing for everyone from the US to the EU. And it was well done.

I also watched The Goosebumps Movie and while it was definitely for younger kids, I was bored and I love Jack Black. If you have a grade schooler or a young middle schooler, it's one of the less painful movies to sit through on a family night.

Sal Boxford likes this.
  18. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

The Invisible Woman about Charles Dickens' mistress made the feminist in me rage, especially since she was 18 years old and her mother encouraged her to be a kept woman because her daughter was a poor actress and would have trouble making a living. I don't agree with anyone who would see the film portrayal of the relationship as a genuine romance. But Room was good movie despite the dark subject matter.

19. bonijean2

bonijean2 Ancient Artists And Storytellers Rock

Somewhere In Time - My all-time favorite movie!
    Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve were at their best -

Steerpike likes this.
  20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Had a half day at work and it was ridiculously hot, so I decided to pay for two hours of air-con and some popcorn and watch "Independence Day: Resurgence".

God what an awful mashup of cliches. I was trying to think of a movie that I liked less that had been done:
    A) by a major studio
    B) with a big budget and
    C) with a straight face

Took me a while, but I think that this one is better than "Prometheus", but on par with or inferior to "Battleship".

21. gibble410

gibble410 Contributor Contributor

Here's looken at 'chu kid!

Casablanca, really awesome movie!

22. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

That's really a great film.

23. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I have a question.

The other night I watched the Jim Jarmusch film Night on Earth through my android Kodi box. For those not familiar with the film it follows five different cab drivers from around the world, and the quirky characters they pick up. The first two are set in America, but the three after this are set in Paris, Rome, and then finally Helsinki. For these last three segments there were no subtitles, so I ended up switching it off and missed out on over half the film.

Now, Kodi has a feature where you can download subtitles, but this is used primarily for films where the audio / dialogue is poor, or if you're hard of hearing. So what I'm wondering is why, in a film made for the English speaking market, the subtitles weren't hard-coded into the film?

24. gibble410

gibble410 Contributor Contributor

I just watched Liberal Arts, it was a good movie, and I watched it cause Elizabeth Olsen, my favorite actress is in it. It was an awesome movie, except for the ending. Because of the couples/friends age difference Jesse felt uncomfortable hooking up with the teenage Zibby aka Elizabeth. In the end, Jesse finds love, and Zibby admits that she might have been wrong. I hated that ending, I would have liked it a lot better if they did another ending.

25. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure this is a good thing, personally. I thought Crystal Skull was awful, mainly because of the terrible bluescreen special effects - it just looked horribly studio based when compared to the gorgeous location shooting from Last Crusade.

And how old is Ford now? He can't possibly be playing the same kind of action role, so I'm guessing this is going to be the introduction of the new 'hero' of the films.

Spielberg being Spielberg he might just pull it off, but then I thought that about Crystal Skull and it turned out to be a huge disappointment.

Malisky likes this.