1. Babette

Babette New Member

? for the tech savvy

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Babette, May 12, 2010.

I am on Win 7 but found an old screenwriting software (Win 2000) for sale. Please tell me that my frugal heart is right and that there is some way that I can bypass the compatibility issues?

2. TeabagSalad

TeabagSalad New Member

Hi,

I am a bit of a computer nerd - working in IT departments has this strange effect on us...

Anyway - it is a little difficult to say if the software will run without knowing what it is called. But there have been quite a few changes to the Windows OS between 2k and 7.

If you have MS Office you may find that there are some templates somewhere out there on the internet that may do the job. If you don't own MS Office then I would suggest looking into either Google documents or OpenOffice and see if they have templates for screenwriting.

Both OpenOffice and Google Docs are free - I personally love Google documents because you can grant other people access to your documents for editing and proof reading.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian

3. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

I don't buy into writing software to be honest. Even if you need help, there's plenty of free stuff for you not to need to spend anything.

If you're really, really, really keen it's possible to run programs in compatibility mode to an extent, but you're carrying a wheelchair up the stairs instead of taking the elevator.

4. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

How expensive is this software? I'd grab it, especially if it's hard to find.

And there's always Windows 7's compatibility mode like the poster above said. I really wouldn't worry if it had to run that way.

I mean, this is real simple. It's not doing anything with direct x, and since it was tailored to the NT Kernal which Windows 7 was based on, there's a very good chance it'll run.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Part of what that kind of softwear does, I'm assuming, is help you with formatting. There are plenty of books and people you can refer to for help in that area. Don't waste time and money on that.