1. Anthony84

Anthony84 New Member

Creative Writing Apps

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Anthony84, May 1, 2013.

Hello all,

I have recently discovered an Android app called Wattpad.

I've been playing around with it quite a bit and it is very "fanfiction" heavy.

Just wondering if anyone has come across any good apps for i-phone or Android
    that have interesting creative writing aspects to them or help to connect like-minded people
    (much like this forum).

Any thoughts?

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I have not found any apps that help me at all. They strike me as gimmicky. Really, to write, all you need is a word processor (or a pen and paper).
    But as far as finding like-minded folks, I've been on a few writing sites, but I like this one best. I registered at a bunch, but pretty much only come here and to one other (that you get access to as part of paying a fee to join the underlying organization).

Otherwise, what I've found most helpful are live-in person interactions with writers. I found one local to me through the meetup site. I love talking online to other writers, but talking with writers in person is different and invaluable in itself.

3. Anthony84

Anthony84 New Member

My mistake. I didn't mean an app that actually helps you to write or anything like that.
    (I studied creative-writing at uni & still consider myself to be a novice so I doubt an app is going to help hehe)

I just meant something that helped engage the writer or network with others.
    It's good to know what I have bypassed the other websites and come straight through to here.

I completely agree that nothing compares to some good old fashioned work-shopping between a
    group. That has always served me best.

I'm not familiar with the "meet-up site".
    Does that link in with this website also?

4. chicagoliz

meet-up is a site that allows you to find in-person groups near you for various interests. If you google, I'm sure you can find it, especially if you google meetup plus whatever city you're near. It's totally separate from this one.

As far as sites that help to network or engage the writer, what I've found most helpful is twitter.

5. Anthony84

Anthony84 New Member

Ok good to know.

I will check it out.

Can I have your Twitter username so I can add you?

6. chicagoliz

Sure -- @ElizabethStolar
    I follow a lot of authors, agents and writing publications/organizations.

7. Anthony84

Anthony84 New Member

It's probably time I started paying more attention to this type of medium.

It seems like it has quite the strong-hold on the industry.

I'll probably have a billion questions for you as it seems like you are on top of it all.

8. chicagoliz

I'm not so sure about that, but I'm happy to help if I can.

9. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

I agree with chicagoliz -- there are many writers, literary magazines and pub houses on Twitter with which to interact. You also have the added benefit of sharing your work with followers, mentioning the market in which the work was been accepted and, of course, sharing the good work of other writers.

10. Aiden8100

Aiden8100 New Member

I am also totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that you also have the additional benefit of sharing your work with followers, referring to the market in which the work was been approved and of course, sharing the good work of other authors.

I agreed what is said above!!!