1. CadieDanielle.!

CadieDanielle.! New Member

Title and Plot Twists?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CadieDanielle.!, Jul 1, 2010.

Hi, everybody. I'm new to this, so humor me.
    I've got a basic outline to a story, but I'm wondering what I could add to it to really make it great?

Here's the basic plot: A girl grows up in a family of 11 children, all from a drug-addicted mother. Needless to say, their childhood leaves a lot to be desired, and they end up on the streets until child services steps in. The 11 children are all split up, most at a young age. Basically, the story follows the actions of the sixth child, a girl named Tiereney. She's severley depressed, and pretty much the definition of cruel and soulless. She ends up running into her oldest brother, and the story follows their adventure into bringing their family back together, and rediscovering themselves. I've already managed to squeeze a love story in there, too.

But at this point, I'm wondering if that's enough. Not to mention I need a title.

Advice?

2. theSkaBoss

theSkaBoss New Member

I like it the way it is. It sounds like a sweet story. I mean, these kinds of stories don't need a twist ending and stuff. The plot just needs to unfold, you know? After all, what twist could even be put into such a story? "Turns out they're not even related, but they all consider each other family anyway! Awe!"

As for title, it could be something like Eleven Pieces of a Broken Heart, or Lost and Found... Something like that that evokes an image of that bit of your story is what I'd personally do, but it's all up to your own tastes.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I think a title is something you can come up with at the end. That's what I always do.

As for your plot, it sounds great, but just make sure your outline is developed enough. The summary gave sounds like it's a great story in itself, but do you have the key things worked out well?

I'm just asking because I"ve written 1000s of short stories in my lifetime, but never finished a novel. Novels are way more complex -- I"d have a general idea, start writing without a good outline and write myself into a wall. I"m starting a new novel and making sure the outline is good before I write.

An outline isn't something that you force yourself to stay tied to, and it doesn't have to be detailed. It's just to help organize certain things and keep you on the right track, especially with aspects of writing you have a harder time with.

For example -- for me, character development is easy, but figuring out a plot structure for a novel (climax, specific key events etc) is much harder. So in my outline, character stuff would be at a minimum, but I'd figure out the gist of the plot and how it will flow before I write it.

For example, things to keep in mind before you write your own story: Do you know (you don't have to tell us, just make sure you know for yourself):

1. How do all 11 kids find each other after living on the streets for years?
    2. What happens with each character interaction? (11 kids is a lot of MC's, and they all have to relate to each other, or at least the primary MC to all of them with the other sibling relations hinted at) Basically what I mean is, do they get along or not? Why or why not?
    3. How will it end?
    4. What will do you, aside from the beginning, with the drug addict mother character?
    5. How is Tiereney cruel and soulless, what does she do that makes her seem that way?

Make sure you know what you're doing and where you're going is my recommendation, good luck!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

And as Mallory said, you don't need to settle on a title until the story is finished. Just give it a working title for now. When the story is finished, there may be a key scene or line that stands out for you as perfect inspiration for the title.

5. CadieDanielle.!

Thanks everyone! Your advice is incredible. To Mallory, I haven't come to conclusions on all those questions yet, but I'm working on it. I started a sort of timeline so I can more easily figure everything out though.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Timelines are great outline tools! Good luck! You can PM me for help or email me your story for review whenever you want! :)

7. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Everyone else pretty much said it all. If you have it in you to write that then write it! Write what you feel strongly about. Also I would do some research into possible birth defects and issues that can arise from the mother using drugs heavily. Children aren't always severely affected physically but it is definitely a possibility. Sounds like this is a coming of age sort of story. It doesn't need twists and turns. It just needs to flow well. Best of luck. :)

8. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

Cogito is right about the execution of the story being the all-important factor--it's all in how you write and develop it. But right now the story sounds sufficient by itself. Don't throw in a plot twist unless you think it will enhance the story. And if you do throw in a twist, make sure to have some sort of foreshadowing and lead-up to it. After reaching the twist, the reader needs to look back at the story and realize, "That twist was there all along, now it all makes sense!" But if you just toss in the twist for a cheap little revelation, the reader will have no reason to put meaning behind it, and see it for what it is.

9. CadieDanielle.!

Mallory, thanks! I really appreciate it. :) And thanks for the advice from everyone else.

10. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

It might be easier to some up with 10 titles then 1. And editors, and marketing people etc will have a say about the final title anyway. No rush, about finding the perfect title at this stage. So just choose a working title and a bunch of title that might fit the final piece.

11. Manav

Manav New Member

'A severely depress girl who became cruel and soulless' doesn't sound like someone who will try to unite her family.

12. CadieDanielle.!

You're right, no it doesn't. But that's the point of the story. It's about her rediscovering hersef and overrcoming her depression. Bringing her family together is something she does along the way, it heals her.

13. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

It has all been said already, but I will still throw my couple of cents in LOL

Plot sounds fine - you have a beginning, a middle and an end. So just start writing, because the story and the characters are your most important parts.

As for the title, it doesn't matter right now, does it? You may write something in, say, chapter 27, and think, 'ooh! that'd be a good title!'