1. Kirish

Kirish New Member

Hi, this is Kirish.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kirish, Mar 22, 2015.

Hi everyone!

Call me Kirish and let me warn you: I might be a bit unconventional (and certainly very inconvenient) writer (and person). But hey, I'm a Scandinavian.

I gave up writing as a craft some time ago, perhaps I might pick it up again later, perhaps not. But writing and language as phenomena still intrigue me (forgive me the big snobbish words) and rather than worshipping grammar or perfect sentences (although I do enjoy a well composed piece of writing every now and then) I love chopping up words and sentences and strecthing the borders the art of storytelling, narrating and poetry - and also combining them with other fields of art. (No, I can't be more specific! What would be a better way to introduce oneself on a forum than make the post sound like a commercial or an unimaginative job application with some vague cliches.)
    But still, I don't do dada, surrealism or play with syntax or semantics like Chomsky's "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously". Heck, I don't even know what I actually do!

I also like reading books (in theory) but find seldom anything that catches my interest. Although lately I've been reading Henning Mankell's crime novels and planning to browse through some other Swedish authors as well. I still spend an aweful lot of time wandering around book shops and playing hide-and-seek with the well-meaning but nosy clerks. And oh yes, I do judge books by their covers. If I haven't read anything else from the writer, that is.

And as you might have noticed I love using brackets to add commentries to what I've just said because everything I say is always somehow faulty (so is language, I believe) and I don't always necessarily agree with myself. (Yes, that is possible.)

But anyways, nice to be here and meet you - and your writing, your ideas, characters, worlds, languages, whatever!

And I almost forgot the creepiest of things! I don't want to become published. Or write a book. Now you're free to throw things at me.

See you on board! :)

Nicoel likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Tervetuloa! :)

Here is the New Member Quick Start, Kirish. Here on our community you will find diversity enough to accommodate all manner of unconventionality. :agreed:

Hauskaa!

Wrey

3. Kirish

Kirish New Member

Kiitos, kiitos!

How did you know I'm Finnish? :-D And diversity is always great, I'm glad this is not some tiny corner bar for dead-serious published authors only! (Of course, nothing wrong with published authors!)

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Two of our mods (husband & wife) are Finnish, and one is Swedish. :) They keep me in good nick as regards all things Finno-Scandy. ;) (also, your IP told me where you are)

5. Kirish

Kirish New Member

Stalking my IP? :D (Oh, those beautiful days when I still used TOR that threw me all kind of random Swiss IPs... And made Google very, very suspicious.)

Glad to hear there are people from all around the world. I was afraid that writing communities would be aimed for people with English as their first language. Phew.

Och jag också talar svenska, så hejsan allihopa!

6. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Hello,

Those of whimsy's kindred are always welcome and well met.

7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Welcome to our realm, Kirish!

Jag är inte säker, men jag tror inte det är så jättemånga svenskar här, så det är nog bäst att hålla sig till engelska. ;)
    (I'm not sure, but I don't think there are too many Swedes around here, so it's probably best to stick to English.)

The forum used to have a "member map" that pinpointed the locations of every member who had set one on their profile. It was quite awesome to be able to actually see the forum's diversity, though sadly I can't seem to find that link anymore. :(

8. Kirish

Kirish New Member

Hello darkkin and Komposten!

And no worries, I won't be flashing any wacky Nordic languages around the boards!

Komposten likes this.
  9. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Welcome Kirish! Somehow I like you already :D

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.