1. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

Multi-Trilogy series.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ChaosReigns, Jun 17, 2014.

Hi all,

been sitting here looking at my writing, and ive realised that i can link all of them up in some way, by which, these are all probably going to end up as trilogies, but linked to one another, where one trilogy ends and another starts. they all use different plots and settings, but characters from previous books appear in slightly altered forms.

My question is, would this be something that, if written right (which im intending to do) would it work?

also if you guys have any thoughts/tips/suggestions, all would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Yes, it can work. Asimov kind of did it - almost all of his books and short stories take place in the same universe, so you could research that. The children's series CHERUB also did this, where they had three different series and characters we know sometimes popping up.

Just remember to make the first book you want to publish stand alone i.e. no huge cliffhangers. If it all goes well and readers buy your first book and like it, then they will lap up the whole inter-connected series. I would, anyway! :D Also, do not tell the publisher/agent that you have other books in the series, because it is very likely to put them off. Don't rely on your series; rely on that great first book. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

@Thomas Kitchen Thank you! i shall have a look at them.

Order Of The Black is the first in the series, and it can be read as a stand alone book, but is actually the start of a trilogy (the first trilogy that is) which is why i ask. do you think it wiser for me to get writing the books and see if there is a way of writing a stand alone one as an introduction?

4. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Contributing Member

I fully agree that this is a grand idea. Heinlein also did this. Many of his characters reappear, not to mention he used archetypes. Personally, I love the idea. Go for it.