1. Joules03

Joules03 New Member

multiple agents in same company

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Joules03, Sep 7, 2010.

I am submitting my novel to agents for the very first time. I'm making sure to follow submission guidelines, and find agents that accept my kind of work.

There is one company that has two agents that I feel would be equally interested in my work. I imagine it wouldn't be a good idea to submit to both at the same time. But say I just do one and they reject it, could I go ahead and submit to the other? Or is that a no-no?

Thanks

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I wouldn't submit to both at the same time, but if one rejects you then I would try the other. However, you should read their guidelines because I'm sure some agencies have a rule against this.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, most agencies most certainly do have rules against querying more than one of their agents concurrently...

and some may even prohibit doing so consecutively... which is why you must always check the guidelines first...

4. Joules03

Joules03 New Member

I'm just wondering what the etiquette is if they don't say in their guidelines. Is it frowned upon, generally, to do it consecutively?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

probably... but if you want to risk it, you should be sure to let the next ones know you've already approached others in their agency... to not do so would be deceitful and can get you blacklisted from that firm when you're found out [which you will be!], plus mentioned to other agencies as a clueless newbie--or worse...