1. Marthix

Marthix New Member

Multiple Perspectives

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marthix, Aug 6, 2010.

I have a really big issue regarding my story. I have these two characters that I've intriguing perspectives for. However, I'm having trouble deciding which one to go with. I'm debating whether or not to write via multiple perspectives for my novel. My heart's telling me that I should write from just one perspective (particularly this woman who joins the military) as it probably won't slow down the story.

Would there be a problem with writing multiple perspectives? It'd be cool to switch between my two characters every so often, but eventually they meet up and one takes over. This military woman I'm discussing is more of a leader than the other character (a shorter mechanic dude who joins the military). Would it perhaps be more interesting to write from the military woman's POV or her fellow mechanic dude? The military woman has great struggles in her life and I'm not sure whether seeing her through her eyes or her fellow mechanic dude (or as I call him, her agent)'s eyes would make more sense? Please help me out! What sounds more intriguing?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you can write in an interesting and engaging manner from both perspectives, there's no reason not to do it. Just make sure you do it effectively. It is done all the time in fiction.

3. Norm

Norm New Member

Yeah, switching between them is fine. Just write each section in whichever perspective you think would be more interesting for that part of your book. Just make sure you make it obvious which perspective it is so that the reader won't get confused.

4. Marthix

Marthix New Member

Ok, then how about including a prologue? I deem that a prologue is necessary to spike readers' interests into the story. It'll essentially introduce the title and central theme of the book to all readers. It'll only span a few pages and its the conclusion of a military battle involving a different character (a female military lieutenant). Would it make sense to include a prologue before the main story with those two characters' perspectives? Thanks!

Also would having a prologue being about the 'conclusion of a military battle' be like starting in medias res? I don't think so, what do you think?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Most prologues are best left off. Start right into the story, and do NOT try to give the reader "background" to start off with.

6. Marthix

Marthix New Member

Can you please explain your reasoning in more detail? What if the intro for my first main character is a little slow?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Instead, try searching the General Writing forum for threads with Prologue in the title. This has been discussed VERY often.

8. Marthix

Marthix New Member

Thank you!