1. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

How does George RR Martin do it?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Pythonforger, Jul 15, 2013.

His Song of Ice and Fire series are so smooth and solid, with the fantasy very believable and the dialogue picture perfect. His writing it excellent. What does it do-I really can't explain-that separates it from the rest?

2. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

I am currently reading Song of Ice and Fire series too and enjoying it muchly. I haven't read or watched many interviews where he might explain his process in depth but I did read how he describes himself as 'a very visual writer' and it's evident in his excellent prose and a want to genuinely leave the reader feeling that ANYTHING could happen to the characters. There are plenty of other authors out there with books written equally good or better but there are those that are bad in comparison. In my opinion it all boils down to an authors execution and depends on a readers preference. Some love and adore GRRM and some equally dislike him. Some readers like lush descriptions and detail where some want it gossamer thin, speedy and to be finished within a few hours. To me, personally, he is my kind of writer and find him and his work a source of inspiration and motivation. As everyone knows GRRM doesn't rush his work and takes his time. Some go red in the face and grind their teeth to nubs with fury, but I think the years it takes for him to produce a book is the time it necessarily takes to make a complex work so smooth, solid and picture perfect.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

How does he do it? He's an excellent storyteller. It took him years of practice along with a bit of talent.

It's just like anyone can tell a joke, but some people are better at it than others--timing, inflection, facial expression and hand gestures, etc. It takes practice.

4. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

He takes his time.

Lots, and lots.

And lots.

And lots...

Of time.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

with some level of talent and well-honed writing skills...

6. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

I feel the same way! I'm currently reading Clash of Kings. He's just SO good. I vacillate between being encouraged and being discouraged when I read his books.

However, I have noticed that he too is guilty of repeating himself. It's nice to know he's only human. :p

I heard about an interview where he laments that the TV series about these books are catching up with him and he's trying to write fast enough to stay ahead of the show. LOL! What a problem to have...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And, of course, plenty of hard work, especially when he was learning his craft.