1. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member Supporter

Multiple writings

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by PGWhyte, Sep 13, 2016.

Hey folks,

I'm curious here as i have many ideas swirling around in my head, jotting them down and tempted to start something.

Do you have multiple stories on the go? or just focus on 1 story/piece of writing at a time?

2. Viridian

Viridian Contributing Member Supporter

I have a novel, an idea (and notes) for a novel, a collaboration project for either series of children's books or one novel, a couple of unfinished short stories and a couple of short stories that need a bit of tampering with. I'm trying to focus on the novel, but I tend to veer off now and then to the short stories, mostly for practice with different genres really. But I really really REALLY need to focus on the novel. I keep losing my train of thought, go back to the beginning and end up editing, which I don't want to do - I want to get to the end of bloody thing before I edit. I'm frustrating the hell out of myself. Saying that, i'm about to go over one of my short stories again :cry:

Crybaby and PGWhyte like this.
  3. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member Supporter

:eek: Oh My God....thats ok then, was tempted to start some other projects when my brain cant take anymore during my current short story. You've inspired me :D:twisted:

4. Viridian

Ha ha, glad I could help. :-D

PGWhyte likes this.
  5. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

Only one - provides plenty of entertainment for me :twisted: and for my Alphas. I couldn't focus on anything else, I need to think too much to make this work. Practice? This WIP provides plenty. So far I have scrapped about 200k and started over three times. But I do believe I have finally found the right genre, setting and characters. I focus on getting the genre and voice right, and going off to write short stories or another genre wouldn't help me make THIS wip good.

Crybaby and PGWhyte like this.
  6. Viridian

You scrapped 200k - my god I was gutted when I scrapped 13k to start over. That's dedication right there :supercool:

Lifeline and PGWhyte like this.
  7. Lifeline

Yo. Half a year of work :) granted, not all at once. It accumulated through three tries to get it right ;)

Viridian and PGWhyte like this.
  8. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member Supporter

Ouch....200k is mahoosive, i think ive scraped about 200 so far, unless you count the 3 re writes then maybe im into 1k :supershock:

Viridian likes this.
  9. Lifeline

I still have them though, in another document - I never delete anything. And there are all those 'unused phrases' and 'unused parts of scenes' *sigh*... maybe I can salvage some of that, somewhen, in some form at least ;)

My most recent scrap was 40k (one week ago) - just to give you an idea of the scale I am talking about..

Viridian likes this.
  10. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member Supporter

Once i get myself a macbook air I'll be able to be more organised...have files on my phone, ipad and crappy laptop.:mad:

11. Lifeline

I'd advice you to keep all you scrap. As said, some of them eventually can be reworded/incorporated and you might bang your head against the keyboard when you find you can't quite remember one brilliant line..

12. Viridian

Agreed, everything i ever scrapped is sitting in s separate folder called 'deleted stuff'. You just never know.

Crybaby likes this.
  13. Brindy

Brindy Contributing Member Supporter

I'm not able to work on multiple ideas at the same time, I'm amazed by those that can. I need to focus on one project at a time, so if I do get an idea that jumps into my head when I am driving, chilling, working, whatever - I make a few notes, write down what my mind thinks of and save it away for another day. That gets it out of my head and allows me to carry on with my current project. I have a favourite in my store of ideas that does keep getting added to but it's not time for it to become my main work for now.

OurJud likes this.
  14. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I have a finished novel that I am currently pitching and a new one that I am still researching but on which I have also started writing some fragments. I also have an idea for a crime novel (not my preferred genre) that has been nagging at me for several months and for which I've also written a few fragments, but that's been back-burnered for the present. That's about my limit. Any additional ideas that come along, I'll just make a few notes and put them away for another time.

Brindy likes this.
  15. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

One at a time, for me. So far the pattern is that I get an idea when I'm about halfway through a novel, so I let it percolate while I finish.

I do think it's essential to start a new project the moment one book goes out for querying/sub (if you're going down that route). It's the best distraction from the nail-biting waiting, and if you get immersed in a new story it doesn't hurt so much when the old one is rejected.

But I also think breaks are important, and I don't hold with the mantra that we must write EVERY SINGLE DAY no matter what.

So I guess my rough schedule is:

1. Write a novel.
    2. Have a break while it goes out for beta reading, and do some beta reading myself instead of writing.
    3. Make final revisions and send it off to my agent.
    4. Start next book.
    5. Back to number 1.

Crybaby likes this.
  16. Siena

Siena Active Member

Lots of ideas. File them.

Diligently finish one story at a time IMO.

PGWhyte likes this.
  17. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

So one thing I said I would never do and I am doing it; writing two stories at once. HOWEVER there are reasons for this. Book one draft 1 is complete. I am now working on draft 1b and taking a break because I am not confident in the story direction. Book two, I am working on draft 1 and when it is complete my plan is to go back and write Book one draft 1b. I am not writing one chapter of Book one and then one chapter of Book two...you know what I mean. I am working on one draft at a time.

18. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

Ditto.

19. deadrats

deadrats Active Member

I always seem to have a few things going at once. Honestly, I only want to be working on one thing at a time. And I am pretty good at directing my focus to whatever it is I am actually writing at the time. But before I know it there are a million word documents open on my computer.

20. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I have multiple stories running, simply because writing doesn't happen from idea inception to publication as one fluid, continuous process. Once you type "the end," then editing begins, which means you are waiting on other people. While waiting you may as well write the next book.

I have one trilogy with book 1 damn near done, book 2 going through critique, and book 3 with the first draft about 1/3 written. Then I have other books in various states of writing, from a file with nothing more than an idea to one that was just formatted for publication. I also write short stories for contest and occasionally pic up freelance work for a magazine.

I feel like focusing on just one story would just leave me with too much down time with nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs.

I have a couple folders within folders for stuff like this too.

Viridian likes this.
  21. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I work on several projects at once, but generally focus on one at a time for the first-draft/creative stage. So I'll have one MS I'm actively writing, maybe another I put on hold for one reason or another, one or more on submission to various editors, one or more in the process of being self-published, one or more in the process of being edited, etc.

22. Crybaby

Crybaby Contributing Member

Oh dear, I suffer from this illness, too.
    I used to have loads of stories on the go. Now, I try to stick to one. If I get to the point I'm not making any progress with it on a particular day, instead of getting frustrated with it, I take a break. This allows me to look at another story for a while, but no for too long.

Viridian likes this.
  23. Crybaby

Crybaby Contributing Member

I have a deleted folder, too but I call it the crap folder because most of it is...crap. :) And, it does come in handy. Recently, I was stuck and remembered my crap folder, had a rummage and hey presto, I stummbled upon a rejected paragraph that I adjusted here and there and used. Got me out of a hole. :D

OurJud, Viridian and Lifeline like this.
  24. deadrats

deadrats Active Member

I just wanted to add that I seem to load up on projects the most when I am procrastinating working on something specific and really should continue with rather than starting or going back to anything else. I think I get scared a little when something is going really well. Like halfway-written books or the short story that really felt like my best and needed just a lad more polishing before I'll send it out, it just seemed like such a great time for me to take poetry seriously and really work on that. And I guess I'm more okay with failing at poetry or with a different story or a different book, that isn't my best. Sometimes, for me at least, this feeling comes over me when I know I'm truly at my best. I don't know if I'm scared that I can't keep it up or that it's really not as great as I think, but I have found I really need to push myself to stay with something when it's really working. It's really hard to be dedicated to just one thing at a time.

Crybaby and Lifeline like this.
  25. Lifeline

Yeah, I get that a lot. When I feel like I do good, or that things get too close I get scared too.

No, it's not. That is just the fear speaking. You need to remind yourself that fear is the flipside of caring. Then it becomes a matter of necessity, to push on.

Crybaby likes this.