1. starrynight89

starrynight89 Senior Member

Music, anyone?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by starrynight89, May 14, 2008.

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about this but how many of you listen to music while you read and do you think it's a good idea?

Depending on the music you're listening to, I've heard that you tend to steer off track and write something that is parallel to emotion conveyed in the song. I guess that's why writers listen to different types of music while writing different scenes..Any thoughts?

I listen to a lot of linkin park, muse and sometimes classical music. What about you guys?:)

2. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I believe that music is the root of all art.

I usually don't listen to music while I read unless it's classical music and very quiet in the background. I don't ritualistically listen to music everytime I try to write something either, but often times when I'm stuck on conveying a particular emotion I will turn to music for inspiration.

Classical music is the best bet for me when I'm trying not to get distracted. The album Bridges by the band Jets Overhead has really helped me make some important decisions about a character and story I've been thinking about. The album ended up acting like the soundtrack to the story, which was super cool to experience.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hmmm. I don't tend to listen to music when I read, because music has its own moods and emotions, and I don't want them to conflict with those of whatever it is I'm reading.

However I do listen to music when I write, for precisely the same reason- I can control the music based on what it is I'm writing, so that the moods are complimentary.

4. Kratos

Kratos Contributing Member

I find that music distracts me sometimes; while other times it helps me. But it does help me come up with ideas for the story, not necessarily while I'm actually writing them.

5. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Contributing Member Contributor

In the arms of the man I love at home in NC.
    I write to music...every time. Usually Bruce Springsteen, it's his energy it keeps me focused.

Reading is different, I do read while listening to music, but the music is usually soft and turned down low. It's funny, I can remember when I first read The Notebook, I was reading an exceptionally touching line and this song I was playing hit me, that mixed with the emotion of the story and I had to put the book down, I was crying so hard...LOL
    I guess it's a testament to the power of music and the written word.

6. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Music is a must when I'm writing. I usually set the player for random and just let it flow over me.

7. KP Williams

KP Williams Contributing Member

I don't always listen to music while writing, but often. It gets the creative energies flowing more easily than just sitting there, waiting for something to happen. I don't listen to anything in particular, but Gackt (Japanese band) got me started on my current project, and Metallica is helping to keep it alive. I honestly have no idea why.

8. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

I can't listen to music when writing or reading. I'd LIKE to, but it simply distracts me too much. I absolutely can't focus on reading when music is on, and if I'm writing, I completely tune the music out, so there's no point to listening.

Music inspires my writing, just not when I'm actually writing it! I tend to rather imagine certain music as the "soundtracks" for my stories, and just THINK about the writing while listening to it.

The artists/groups that really inspire me are Adiemus, Era, Lesiem, Within Temptation, ES Postumus, and Globus...just gorgeous music. Lots of instrumentation and choirs. Nice and soundtracky.

9. missupernatural

missupernatural Member

I need to listen to music when I write. Right now I'm compiling a playlist so I can write without having to skip through a bunch of songs to find one that suits the mood.

10. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing Contributing Member

It really depends on the mood I want to be in for what I write - at times I need complete silence, other times I listen to anything and everything from classical and opera to metal/idustrial music.

11. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Music distracts me too much to be able to read or write while listening to it :(

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I find complete silence way too distracting. But music distracts me too - it's too regular. I work best with a TV on in the background, and other random noises help too.

13. feather

feather Member

I'm a horror writer and headbanger. Perfect marriage for me:)
    When I'm building suspense and looking the climax in the eye, I need metal tunes blasting.
    Sometimes a Goth band like Apocalyptica with the cellos work as well depending on my theme.
    Other than that, I need total quiet.
    I'm such a liar. I always leave the TV on like Cogito said. Its just always there, I don't even consider it noise.

14. Writer's Coin

Writer's Coin New Member

music

I'm with Tehuti: I can't listen to music when I'm writing or reading—it's too distracting. But it is key to getting new ideas to write about. Listening to music while I'm running or just staring out the window is bound to get my mind wandering and usually leads to a good story idea or two.

15. InPieces

InPieces Senior Member

It really depends. If the music is soft, ambient or atmospheric without lyrics, it's fine to listen to while reading OR writing. But if the music has lyrics, or is extremely heavy, i find it harder to concentrate.

16. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't need to listen to music to write. I can think of random ideas without listening to music.
    But I do listen to music when I write.
    Especially classical.
    I write horror stories to classical.
    I think that music allows me to visualize the seens better.

17. Amor

Amor Member

Well, I can't read in total silence because I'll probably get distracted. And reading when there are lots of people talking, because that will distract me too. I get distracted a lot. But for some reason, when I'm listening to music, I don't get distracted, so it helps me focusing on what I'm reading -- even if the music and the reading don't match when it comes to their moods.

18. Mousie

Mousie Contributing Member

When I'm reading, I can't listen to music with a lotta words - too distracting! Unless that music is Fall Out Boy, 'cause I don't think they're really saying anything...

When I'm writing, I'll listen to music that goes along with what I'm writing, or just whatever I think sounds good :redface: DDR when it's a more up-beat kinda scene, and Frou Frou when it's slower or more serious.

19. pippin1710

pippin1710 Member

I do not like to have music while i right but songs are my main insperation

20. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn Contributing Member

I listen to music while I'm formulating ideas...Really helps me there. I don't have to listen to music while I'm writing, but often it helps me. If it's completely silent I tend to focus on little noises (like noisy neighbors above our apartment!)

Right now I'm on a Coldplay kick and have been for awhile.

21. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black Contributing Member

To me, definitely something to avoid. If i listen to music i get lost in it and then i read over the little details and miss things. I'ts distracting :(

22. Aurora_Black

I don't listen to music while writing either, although sometimes inspiration comes from songs.

23. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Contributing Member

I pretty much always listen to music while I write. It helps me focus; I have no idea why.

24. Aurora_Black

Thats cool, what mindset does it put you in, if i listen to music i wind up bieng a lazy bum and sit there listening ><

25. Nena

Nena New Member

I do listen to music when I write. I don't have to, but I like to. Sometimes it spurs me to write faster, depending on how well the song fits. I always theme my music with what I'm writing. I like to write fairy tales so a lot of the times I'll listen to classical music with whimsical themes. Or sometimes I'll listen to movie soundtracks. I love Edward Scissorhands. Or sometimes I'll hear a soundtrack and I'll hear a song that at first doesn't do anything for my creativity until I see the scene it goes with, or I'll see a music video or something and then I'll obsess about it.

Sometimes I'll listen to world music - like latin, african music, or chinese zheng music.

Lately though, I haven't been able to write anything without drawing the illustration for it first. So when I get stuck on an illustration...I get stuck on the plot. =P And right now...I'm stuck.