1. RockyMtn.Wheelz

RockyMtn.Wheelz Member

music as thematic element

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by RockyMtn.Wheelz, Nov 17, 2007.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a character of mine to sing. I want to use music as an element of setting, but can't figure how to do it effectively, except simply to explain the character is singing a specific tune.

2. adamant

adamant Contributing Member Contributor

It would help to know if this is a created setting or based off of a real-world place.

However, I would say to focus on the significance of the genre. For example, if the character is in a small rural setting, you may want to use folk songs. To enhance the feel, describe the instruments used in creating the sounds. In addition, you can show said folk genre contrasting with the world around (such as bars with heavy metal bands - the character having to search diligently for a venue) to give a strong message of the character and the setting as well.

3. RockyMtn.Wheelz

RockyMtn.Wheelz Member

I'm writing a suburban contemporary neighborhood. The particular scene is taking place during a holiday, and I'd like to include familiar music playing on a radio to set a tempo and setting for the scene.

4. adamant

adamant Contributing Member Contributor

What's the theme of the story? What genre of music do you want? Is it around a dinner table, or just an occurrence in another random setting?

If it's well-known by the characters of your story, I think you should have the singer declare that they love this song and wants to sing it. Though it's hard to give help without knowing the situation.

5. Frost

Frost Contributing Member

I'm not to clear on the question here. Are you asking how to describe the sound of the singers voice? If so, describe all the (relevant) things that make music, music. Pitch, timbre, dynamics, melody - all of that. You might want to tell us what key the singer is in, but that might be getting a little tedious.

However, if you're asking about actual setting the scene with music as an integral part, then you might want to consider a few things. First, the physical setting - where is said person singing? How many people are watching him? What genre of music is he singing? IF your trying to use the music as a setting, you'll want to use what I suggested above anyway.

If it's neither of these, then please clarify :p