Music for writing

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Scarecrow28, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    Do you listen to music while writing?

I don't know if there is already a thread on this, and my attempt to search for it turned up a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with my search.

Anyway, here's the question, as stated in the title. Do you listen to music while writing? And if so, what type of music do you listen to?

I find that Celtic music helps me visualize the setting and characters of my book very well. I like the melodies and instruments used.

2. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

Oh yes. Music is totally inspiring to me. I change what I'm listening to depending on the story. J-Pop for girly chick stories--Ai Otsuka, Bonnie Pink. More alternative stuff when it's a more grown-up story.

I find that Celtic music helps me visualize the setting and characters of my book very well. -Anir

Celtic music is lovely; very soothing and ethereal.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

There was a thread. And no, I don't. Can't would be more apt I guess. I'm not really into listening to music as a background thing, I prefer to fully engage it while I'm listening.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

No, I don't listen to music while writing.

I did a study, actually my Master's Thesis on The Effect of Music on Journal Writing Productivity, which sheds some light on what type of music might help writing productivity and what will likely slow productivity (of course 'actual mileage may vary').

Terry

5. Lionslicer

Lionslicer New Member

I used to, but the lyrics would get me caught up in the music, and sometimes end up working their way into a story, or even a song I'm writing myself.

6. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Lyrics tend to distract me but it's still nice to have some music playing. Often I end up writing with something like the Harry potter/ Pirates of the Caribbean/ Star wars/ lord of the Rings soundtrack playing.

7. InAGreyWorld

InAGreyWorld New Member

sometimes. for some reason i have been listening to bob segar while writing latelty. its very odd.

8. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

I listen to music that I used to be into. That way, I don't lose myself singing and tapping along because I've done that so much before and am bored of the song, but still like it.

9. Sphi

Sphi New Member

I can't stand listening to music while I write. It distracts me so much it absolutely drives me insane. XD

10. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

btw i did a thread like this but cog closed it because it has been done before

i do listen to music while writing, but not always the same stuff, it depends what i am writing and what mood im in.
    i can go from avril lavign and greenday to daniel beddingfield and charlotte church (the old stuff) i even listen to linkin park and the rasmus. im open to anything really

11. Sphi

Sphi New Member

I would also like to add that, maybe this is just me because I write screenplays, but I feel like music in the background controls where the plot can go. When I write and it's completely dead quiet, the plot can go anywhere. Any feelings can come out of the writing -- not just the feelings expressed in a song I'm listening to. Without music, the door is open for the story to go where it takes itself, not on a predetermined music track. And when it's quiet enough and I get really into writing a scene, I can hear the soundtrack playing in my mind-- and the music changes with what I write, not vice versa.

12. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I definatly do!! I put on something that i could see as a sound track to what Im writing. There has been a lot of David Gray and Cold Play lately with all the depressing flashbacks in my novel. I think Bruce Springsteen goes well with the rest, and I already wrote the end where my character has a breakdown, and that had an Alice in Chains thing going on. If I get published, I want to put a playlist in the back of the novel, so the reader can listen to it as they read. lol

13. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

Paramore and Breaking Benjamin usually do the trick, but I've been going to Flyleaf a lot lately. I effin' love the Sorrow music video! :D

(I swear to God I remember Posting in this Thread before.)

14. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

Musical Inspiration

What do you listen to when you're writing? What's your inspiration? Do you have certain music when writing certain genres? Or different characters?

I know it's kind of like the tavern jukebox, but when you're actually writing, do you listen to music? What inspires you?

For me, it varies on the character. Some, I write better when I've got NIN or SOAD blaring in the background, for others it works better with Rachmaninov or Bach, and sometimes, just sometimes, I sneak out my secret stash of cheesy pop, for a little bit of energy.

I can't work in silence. I'll end up humming a tune, knocking out a rhythm on the desk, and failing to write anything.

What's it like for you guys?

15. amble

amble New Member

Agree, it just makes the ideas harder to come through for me. I need a small room, with rubber wallpaper and a steel door :D

16. ObsidianVale

ObsidianVale New Member

i listen to music to get into the mood of whatever im going to write. But sometimes i do find it bothersome when im tring to actually write. Some stuff i like to listen to is celtic woman, S J tucker, and musicals. usually i like a song not a particular person.

17. starseed

starseed New Member

I listen to all sorts of music. My playlist right now is like 400 some songs long so I can't list them all lol.. but I basically have them all divided into sections. There are sections for when Im working on dramatic emotional scenes, sections for "fun" scenes, sexy scenes, and so on. Some of my favorite overall music to write to is the group Hammock. Look them up, you won't be sorry.

Also, I love film scores. I have like 30 of them. Jumanji, Signs, and Gladiator are my favorites I think.

18. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

As my avatar and signature suggest, I'm a fan of Alizée and Dream Theater. I do listen to both while writing, though because their music is louder and more complex DT can be distracting. Lately, in addition to those two I've been listening to lots of Phideaux, Indica and Neal Morse while I write, as well as a wide range of other acts.

19. littlebluelie

littlebluelie New Member

It's pointless for me to listen to music as I write because my mind goes into a completely different place where I'm not even paying attention to the physical world around me. The music would be drowned out by my thoughts.

However, music does inspire me and I do vividly imagine scenes in my head when I'm listening to the right song.

20. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

Sometimes I listen to music while I write and sometimes I don't.

A few times I might listen to certain songs to help get me into the mood or get my brain going before I begin writing.

I listen to symphonic metal/rock or hard rock. I also might make a little playlist for some books of songs that help me think for that specific book.

Like, for example, listening to "Hand of Sorrow" by Within Temptation helps me get in the mood to write my Demon Story because the first time I heard the song I was thinking about my story and realized that the song almost fit the story :-D. So listening to it helps to get me in the mood.

21. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I always listen to music when I write, but I'm also the sort of person who is never seen without an iPod unless in the shower.

When writing I listen to whatever I'm really into at the time or whatever inspired the novel - but I try to keep what I'm listening to consistent. "Try" being the keyword in the sentence, because I'm absolutely dreadful at it.

I have noticed recently that whenever I write I most often listen to Michael Jackson, rather than my preferred artists. Same when I'm working out.

22. starseed

starseed New Member

Helios. Anything by Helios= love and creation. Also, my book was partially inspired by a few different songs:

1)The sun Never Shines on closed doors- Flogging Molly
    2)BT- Flaming June
    3)Phil Collins- I wish it would rain down
    4) My Chemical Romance- The Black Parade

Haha those are all so different sounding, I know. But they each sort of touch a place in my heart that connects to the different characters in the book.

23. seta

seta New Member

Lately, I've been writing at the bookstore. The ambiance generally blurs into the background and I focus on the emotions of my characters. The same thing happens with music. I put my iPod on shuffle (which I have 3500 songs) and once I get into it, I don't care what plays. I'll go from Tori Amos to Dimmu Borgir without noticing.

24. ThePman220

ThePman220 New Member

I'm almost purely into hard rock and metal, mainly stuff from the 70s and 80s, with some dashes of newer stuff if it hits the spot.

I like some more relaxing instrumentals on occasion, which seems to go better with writing (depending on the piece, of course).

25. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Music was oftentimes the thing that inspired my stories, especially early on - though this is still very true today for me. It can give me an image inside my head - a landscape, a character, a scene, what not - that can give me another story idea. This is why I don't like "normal" music, because the lyrics usually distract me from this imaginative process - which is why I generally like orchestral and world music, because they easily convoke imagery in my head.