Music in fiction.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by RockyMtn.Wheelz, Nov 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Gothic Vampire Queen

Gothic Vampire Queen New Member

Um, isn't there a thread already on this?

https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=41231

And darkhaloangel, I agree :)

I once thought it was fun, but now, that I have matured in writing, and have a good sense in what to keep out whilst writing, I think its just...stupid.

2. Norm

Norm New Member

If you reference a band, album or song, you do not have to get permission or pay anything.

For example, if you want to write in your story that the MC's favorite band Atheist and he has all of their LPs, you can do that no problem.

If you want to write that your MC is riding a bus and has his portable tape deck on him listening to some Liege Lord, you can totally do that no problem as well.

If you want to write that your MC and his friends are having an awesome night out at the Overkill concert, that's totally fine as well.

Just remember that it's usually best to avoid pop stars and current flavor of the weeks in your writing because by the time it's published... these figures are old news or forgotten. Stick to the classics (this also shows that your characters have good tastes).

3. Gothic Vampire Queen

Gothic Vampire Queen New Member

For example, I did a little tribute to the Sisters Of Mercy.

Here's what I got:

That line is not official or anything.

It a....sample, if you will.

4. nygiants_0000

nygiants_0000 New Member

At one point in my novel I have my characters sing several lines of 'The Boxer' by Simon and Garfunkel. I actually write out the lines from the lyrics they are singing-What's the legality here?

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

You'll need to get permission from them if you plan to have it published with the lyrics. Otherwise you'll probably be in a bit of trouble.

6. nygiants_0000

nygiants_0000 New Member

Even if it's only one or two lines of the lyrics?

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Actually I am the wrong person to ask. Better person would be asking a literary lawyer.

8. Norm

Norm New Member

I believe that if you cite the original creators of the work within your story, you will most likely not have any issues. That is, unless your book sells millions and the people that wrote that song are very greedy. They might be inclined to take action to try to get some of the cash you're making.

9. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

I didn't see that thread, thanks.

In my first post I did state that was just an example and with all due respect just because you think it's stupid doesn't mean it actually is, especially when you have no idea what the story/inspiration/band or song context is. And, it's certainly not being used because it's 'fun'.

----

Thanks for all your replies, you've been a great help.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

wrong!... you can be in a bleepload of trouble if you don't get permission... citing the creators doesn't make it legal in fiction, only in non-fiction articles, or reviews and such...

learn the ins and outs, cans and can'ts here: www.copyright.gov

11. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

^ Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out :)

12. jg22

jg22 Member

Hello folks,

I have an interesting quandry. A scene in the chapter I am currently writing involves an elaborate ritual accompanied by a range of classical Indian instruments being played. I can describe the players and their instruments well enough, but how do I go about writing a convincing description of the sounds they produce? Not many western readers of the book will be familiar with the sound of the instruments (sitar, veena, sarod etc), so should I aim to use simile and other devices to atleast persuade the reader to want to know what the instruments sound like? How do you go about describing the sounds of music?

Thanks

13. louis1

louis1 Member

I'd go with describing how people react to the music, more that the sound itself. or a mix of both for a sitar for example
    ''the sitar played a heavenly sound resembling one of a metallic guitar making it irresistible for people to retain form chanting the ancient words''

Something like this. i guess would be good.

note that I write in french and english is not my first language so probably my idea sucks terribly and i just don't know it.

14. Human Nature

Human Nature New Member

Im a music producer, I also incorporate music/sound in to writing...
    My advice, don't dumb down first of all use the instrument names a they should be ..dont find something you think people might know ...
    From the sounds of it I i'm guessing you are not a musician so are asking basically how to describe a sound beyond your current vocabulary of musical terms..
    Well my advice (its annoying but you will benifit from it) is to learn, you dont have to learn an instrument dont worry ...how about just spending a day on youtube finding the sounds you imagine fit the contaxt then asking someone who might know what those sounds are called.

Also dont underestimate the power of the Sitar, you would be suprised how manypeople have heard it played and its distinctive sound is not something to be forgotten.
    Another suggestion if you REALLY want to do it right is to do some specific research and interview some people ...get your self down to an indian marke where they play/sell music and ask a few questions.
    ....alternativly just pop down to your local school/college and ask to speak to someone in the music department ...I lived with a music teacher for about 6yrs, trust me they know the terminology ... :-D

words that spring to mind that you need to be aware of (with regards to describing a sound) are tone, timbre, tambre, glide/portomento.

if for whatever you see to hit a brickwall and dont think you can get the right phrasing try simply describing the instrument its self, you may find the correct term presents its self (most musical terms are actualy self explanitory in the realm of the instrument)

Also as someone that creates and records audio would suggest from time to time not focusing on the sound so much as the effect the sound is having on the room ;) <--- that wont make sense to anyone outside music production lol, a bit of acoustic theory for you free of charge :-D

I hope that helps in some way

15. Human Nature

Human Nature New Member

Hi mate strictly speaking there are no rules ...but legaly speaking there comes a point where 1 rule imposes its self.

Basicaly (as long as its not direct slander) you can mention/use whoever you like and quote lyrics if you wish ...but dont bung an entire song in there in lyric form as that will infringe on copyright of the artist (or more likely their big ass recordlabel) ;)

IMO although it is said using 'celeb' names can make the writing seem dated prematurely, I say the opposite ...it depends who you chose to mention/use and whu you chose them. I have been known to deliberatly use name so obscure you'd need access to a good library to find out who they are :-D

hope that ramble was of some use:-D

16. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

Music, lyrics, poetry, most of the time these translate horribly into written form. I stay away from them personally, with the exception of digital books where you can put an audio file into the book that the reader can play when prompted.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but that is not correct. If you quote lyrics, you MUST obtain written permission first - even if it's only part of a song.

You will find that the music industry is a stickler when it comes to copyright laws. They can and do pursue legal remedies vigorously.

18. mammamaia

yes, what cog says is true, hn... need to be more careful when offering legal info...

and in written form, the term is 'libel'... 'slander' refers to the spoken word...

19. kamikazepilot42

kamikazepilot42 New Member

I guess I'm in the minority in feeling that it doesn't matter if there are references that "date" your story.

Sure, some stories exist in a vacuum with no obvious time. But there are plenty of classic stories that are dated by pop culture references, style of speech or style of clothing, just to name a few.

The timelessness of the story should come from the characters, story and theme...I wouldn't worry about a reference to a band. What's wrong with a story being about a particular time period? I'm sure there are countless examples of outstanding novels that are popular for ages despite references that may not have a great impact with newer generations. If that's the age in which your story lives, then let it live there.

20. Cogito

That is a good point. If you don't want the story to be tied to a particular time, avoid topical references that could lock the story's time period down. On the other hand, if you WANT to fix the story to particular years, those same references, carefully chosen, can add to the realism, even provide feelings of nostalgia.

Other songs are virtually timeless, at least over a broad range of years. You could hear Stairway to Heaven playing on the radio anytime after 1971. Missing Persons' Destination Unknown would be unlikely outside the early 1980s. And what the hell is Pinky Blue?

21. mammamaia

what the bleep is 'stairway to heaven'?... i was an adult with 6 kids in '71 and it rings no bells...

22. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Led Zeppelin song.

23. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    It doesn't date the work, which would be bad; it dates the period in which the work is set, which is a completely different matter and can be good and which is probably unavoidable anyway.

24. Cogito

Wow. :)

To be fair, I suspect my mother would ask the same question. However, she rarely listens to anything other than classical music. But Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven is a rock classic, well-known to two generations.

In fact, several hours after I wrote that post, guess what was playing when my clock radio turned on this morning. I laughed at the coincidence.

25. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Even a fraction of the song would, I think, open one up to a copyright lawsuit. The often-stated rules about "don't use more than X percent" are purely guidelines and have no legal force.