Music while you write

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by xMissEnvyx, Jul 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kirby Tails

Kirby Tails New Member

I listen to music no matter what I do, pretty much. :p

2. spiritwriter

spiritwriter New Member

haha... well, its an unbeatable combination, in my opinion.

3. Crim50n

Crim50n New Member

Well ,music distracts me aswell. )

4. spiritwriter

spiritwriter New Member

Gah! Didn't Apple think of these things!?!

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

They wanted you to eat healthier... just look at the name.

6. LoneWolfSolace

LoneWolfSolace New Member

When I'm writing prose, I HAVE to have music on (unless I am in class, obviously). My choice of music depends on the story or scene I am writing at the time. There are certain scenes that are strongly inspired by a certain song, so I might have that song on repeat while I write that scene. I also sometimes have a certain group or artist I stick to for a particular story. For my short story (possible novel?) 'Cherish,' I listen to Celtic Woman (and sometimes Lorenna McKennit). For the stingray/ship scene in 'Why We Can't Have Nice Things' I listened to "We Will Fall Together" by Streetlight Manifesto. I bounce between Celtic music, punk/rock/ska, and sometimes soft rock.

When I write poetry, I can't have music on because it throws me off the rhythm of the poem.

7. drowningbynumber

drowningbynumber New Member

For the most part, I try to fit the music to the scene I'm writing. Most of the time it's something indie, like Bright Eyes, Death Cab For Cutie, The Decemberists, etc. But sometimes silence works the best and other times classic rock like Bruce Springsteen because he tells stories in his songs.

8. Jinx1115

Jinx1115 New Member

I usually get disctracted when I listen to music but I usually still do. I put a few good songs in queue, usually the same ones and they get me in the writing mood and I sometimes get ideas from Lyrics.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Unfortunately, I am one of those who cannot listen to music or the TV or family members talking while writing fiction, because I find it too distracting.

At work, when I am writing work related reports and other mumbo jumbo, the whole office can be having a jam session and it doesn't distract me at all.

However, I do find that music gets me in the mood to write. If I hear something touching, I want to go write something that will touch others the way the song touched me.

But I do wish I could listen and write... maybe when I'm better at writing, I'll be able to do that. :)