1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

In the Flesh: Should there have been a second rising?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Wreybies, Jun 23, 2014.

[​IMG]

I don't mean the second rising alluded to in the story itself. I mean season (series) 2 of the show. I loved the 3 part miniseries and though I was sad at the end, as I am wont to be when done with a good show or book, I felt they did a good job of encapsulating the story and telling a complete arc to its fulfilling end. The metaphor concerning HIV in the real world was pretty plain and obvious, and for personal reasons this is a subject I have difficulty watching played out, but In the Flesh gave it to me at a sufficiently metaphorical remove that I was able to absorb it and not feel personally injured. The bittersweet love story was surprisingly LGBT and the fact that the Kieren and Rick are northern lads made it all the squooshier for me. :)

I'm just now getting into season 2, having watched the first two episodes last night. From a technical standpoint, all the original actors are in play, which makes for an easy re-meld with the world of this story. I'm not sure about the storyline, where it's going, and what the message is supposed to be, though. That part feels a bit ganked since in the original series there was a very singular and solid message being explored.

Feelings? POVs? Thoughts on the show?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Really? No one? I marathoned it over the past two days and watched the finale last night. I'm happy with the treatment of the story and where it seems to be going. There is unavoidable sadness with the characters since all the PDS sufferers, by definition, had some tragedy befall them, but one character in particular (I won't spoil for anyone actually watching) seems to have a deeply unfair string of bad luck. :(

I think they've punished poor Amy Dyer enough. She's a bit intense and perhaps the kind of person who in real life I would love, but only in moderate doses, but still. Enough. Poor thing. :(

Also, the show has been singularly responsible for introducing me to the music of Keaton Henson. :)

3. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I just came by to see if it was the Pink Floyd song from The Wall you were referencing. :whistle: