1. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

Musings of a mad_hatter

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by mad_hatter, Jul 14, 2015.

Okay. So here it is; my progress journal for my first novel.

At current, it is entitled “The House Where The Dead Reside”. The title should be reminiscent of exploitation horror movies, such as ‘The House On The Edge Of The Park’ and ‘The House By The Cemetary’, as the plot isn’t too dissimilar to those. It’s a working title, but I kind-of like it. The use of ‘reside’ feels a bit clunky to me, but still, it evokes what I want it to (for now).

I’m not setting myself any major deadlines with this, but I plan on finishing the first draft before the end of the year. So, more than five months to write 100,000 words. That’s less than 1,000 words a day on average; easily manageable. As mentioned in a recent thread, I’m planning on polishing as I write, so that once the first draft is done, it should (hopefully) be halfway decent. Or at least readable. My time frame gives plenty of time for that.

I’ve written a chapter-by-chapter outline, which has my story broken down into several parts, including a couple of interludes that seem to deviate somewhat away from the main plot. Although some people have commented that this might not work, I still plan on writing it as such, as I feel it could work, and if it doesn’t, they can easily be removed.

I’ll track my progress here, including a word count. I’ll also link to another thread where I’ll post excerpts for critique. They may come in the form of small snippets that I’m not too sure about, or I may occasionally post a full chapter, just to get some feedback. In fact, I’ve already written the prologue, so I’ll get that up here shortly.

Anyway, I hope to receive some great feedback from the community (as per usual). Fingers crossed I can get this finished and end up with something I can at least be proud of.

Wish me luck!

(Current word count = 3,370)

2. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

And here it is:

PROLOGUE

Please give it a read and let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

3. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

So, I'm chipping away, slowly but surely. I've completed chapter one. It's short, at only 2181 words. I've also written a few other bits and pieces for this, sketching out ideas for the upcoming chapters.

I've posted chapter one in the workshop HERE. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I've got some nice ideas to open chapter two, so I'll hopefully crack on with that over the next few days.

(Current word count = 5,591)

4. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

So, the day after my post above, my girlfriend went into labor and my beautiful baby daughter was born. As you can probably imagine, very little progress has been made over the past 2 weeks...

Still, during this time, I received some excellent feedback on my first chapter and have come up with a nice way to fix some of the issues that had been pointed out. I've begun putting those things in order now, and will return to writing my second chapter imminently. So far, my chapter 2 stands at 435 words. Hopefully, that should increase exponentially over the next day or two.

(Current word count = 6,026)

5. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

Two weeks on and Chapter Two is complete (HERE, should anyone wish to give it a read), as are Chapters Three and Four.

Both Chapters Three and Four are quite short. They seemed to take quite a while to write though, as I found them relatively boring. Reading back through them, I feel they run at a reasonable pace, but they both feel like quite a build up to a small event at the end of the chapter. That event is the whole point of each chapter, so they are necessary, but finding words to fill out the space beforehand, to build up to the event, was quite difficult.

Chapter Five should be more enjoyable, as I feel I already have some nice dialogue to bounce between a few characters. Hopefully, I should be able to write that much quicker.

(Current word count = 12,722)