Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Muslim Awareness Day

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Lea`Brooks, Dec 3, 2015.

In light of all the drama occurring with ISIS, businesses hanging "no Muslims" signs, politicians trying to close mosques, and Trump saying they should have to register, the university in my home town held Muslim Awarness Day. (Article found here.) It was essentially an open forum, inviting people to learn more about Muslims and ask questions to figure out the true beliefs of Muslims, not just the hate filling the media right now.

And I'm pretty sickened by the Facebook comments. Read the comments for yourself here. So many people are demanding a Christian Awareness Day, others are saying they know enough about Muslims (implying their knowledge of ISIS), and even some are claiming it's the work of liberals wasting people's money (though I don't see how that has anything to do with anything). Granted, some of the people were trolling, and it's clear who those people are. But most of them also seem completely serious. And I'm truly baffled.

So I wanted to bring this to the bright minds here on WF and get your take on it. Is there really anything wrong with having an awareness day for a culture that's been so misrepresented recently? Do Christians also deserve an awareness day, or are these just the requests of entitled, privileged white people looking for a way to assert their dominance? Could this be joined in with the "I'm Offended!" thread where everyone everywhere seems to get offended by the slightest things?

Discuss. Kindly, please. o_O

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

No. Facebook is an underworld, alternate universe. Never go there alone. The persecution is real. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mosque-peterborough-fire-1.3320013

If I was a Muslim and on Facebook, seeing all the jingoism and BS, I'd want to share what I'm all about too.

As for Christians, it sounds over the top, but if they had legit concerns, who am I to stop them?

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Having a Christian Awareness Day is not the same thing. I'm willing to bet anything the average person knows more about Christianity than Islam. Elements of Christianity are fairly common in our lives, from Christmas songs on the radio to politicians who almost all practice Christianity. Unfortunately, it's true that many people are ignorant about religions other than Christianity (especially Islam). Because news outlets tend to focus on extremists, we rarely hear about moderates and liberals within Islam, so it's good to have events like this. Hopefully this event was a success.

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  4. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I'm glad to hear that someone is trying to dispel all the misinformation out there.

As for "Christian Awareness," two years ago my son's eighth grade class hosted an "interfaith panel." There were Catholics, Methodists, Lutherans, Baptist, Mormons, etc. But not a single participant that wasn't Christian. I shook my head; silly of me to expect more from a community in Idaho?

Afterwards I asked the teacher why there was no representation from my own faith and was told that to publically discuss my own faith would be inappropriate and that I needed to learn to be tolerant and understanding of the other faiths and to stop trying to force my beliefs on others.

Simpson17866 and Lea`Brooks like this.
  5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Why not a Catholic Awareness Day? A day to show that not all Catholics are drunks, child molesters, or linked to the mob.

I hate this world.

Ochalis, Acanthophis and Lea`Brooks like this.
  6. Lea`Brooks

Amen.

......see what I did there? :supercheeky:

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Since most people don't fully understand Islam, I think this is a good idea. Learning about something new is always good, not just to dispel misconceptions, but to understand how different cultures work.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. Bookster

Bookster Banned

I'd guess the folks in San Bernardino are aware of Muslims.

9. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Active Member

Maybe a Christian awarenes day wouldn't be such a bad idea, but you'd have to get real Christians in there. What's passing as 'Christian behavior' today certainly is not what I was raised in. The Christianity I was raised in would have seen the westboro people as bigger sinners, than the gays they so hate, if only for the presumption to know what God thinks and claim of being worthy to speak for God. With all the hate seething in their hearts, there's no room left for God.

Some of these so called Christians need to be reminded what Christianity truely is. Mental note: God doesn't hate any one, hate is mans' domain.

10. Lea`Brooks

And that's exactly the kind of mindset that made the college want to have this event.

The shooters in San Bernardino aren't representative of all Muslims. ISIS isn't representative of all Muslims. But that's what people think. That all Muslims want to shoot and kill and bomb. And that's so far from the truth.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Simpson17866 and BrianIff like this.
  11. Moth

Moth Active Member

I'm all for Awareness Days for both Muslims and Christians. Not enough people know the first thing about Islam other than the ignorant and hate-filled rhetoric they've been hearing from the media the last decade. And if most Christians actually took a day to learn what was in the Bible (particularly the Jesus-y parts), we might be on our way to a more peaceful future.

It's not going to work like that, methinks.

Muslim Awareness Day will be mild success. Mild in the fact that it won't be a failure, but ultimately won't reach enough people to make a difference. The propaganda people have been hearing since 9/11 has painted Muslims as evil monsters that need to be "stopped" for the sake of humanity, enough so that even many left-wing, supposedly open-minded figureheads have spoken about Islam as a scourge on the world. One day of awareness isn't going to be near enough to combat all of that programming and prejudice.

Christian Awareness Day will be a "total success" in the eyes of whoever participates, but an utter failure in the eyes of everyone else. Rather than a day of retrospect and conversation about Christian texts and tenants and awareness of Jesus' teachings, it will end up being more a "Christian Pride Day" focused on combating militant Islam. Much like "White Pride Day", no-one will learn anything and it will only serve to reinforce what they all already believe.

I hope I'm wrong and that these days of awareness actually work well, peace and prosperity on the horizon. Call me a cynic, but I doubt it.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  12. thirdwind

You have a point, Moth, about it being a mild success. I imagine that the people who go to such events are open-minded and accepting to begin with. So I'm not sure how many people's views on Muslims are actually being changed. These events are still good, though, and I fully support them.

13. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

What we need is an Irreligious Awareness Day. You know, for those of us who don't really enjoy having religion in our politics or affairs in general.

That said, what we really need is an awareness day for the people from that region of the world. Not all of them are Muslim, but still get persecuted because they "look Muslimy". Treat them as people; ignore their religion and personal beliefs.

People get scared when they see a brown person, not a Muslim (which aren't usually visible). When I was younger, and I'm not afraid to admit this, whenever I saw someone from that region in an airport, my first thought wasn't Islam, it was the Turban, or the skin colour, or other identifications you don't find in the West. I was young, and quickly grew out of that mindset when I heard my grandmother say some pretty fucked up stuff about "those people".

Point being: focus on them as a whole, not one specific thing. Their culture, cuisines, pastimes, holidays, religion, you name it. Focus on those things and the morons who despise them will see that they're just people, not some anti-Christian monster here to wreak havoc.

We are all more than one thing. Except ISIS, they're just pieces of shit.

14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Nonsense. Not any more than the folks in Oklahoma City in 1995 were "aware of" Christians. Both groups were aware of criminals who do not in any way represent any religion.

Simpson17866, KhalieLa and Jack Asher like this.
  15. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

I suspect any ‘awareness day’ would be much like a political parity’s rally where very selective and totally biased opinions are aired. I doubt anyone could represent the majority of the believers of their own faith, as there is such a variety of views on offer.

Christians are not one group of people, all with the same beliefs and practices, and Muslims are not one group either. The Islam of ISIS is like the Wahhabism of Saudi Arabia and represents a portion of Islam. Other Muslims take a different view, basing their religion on other parts of the Quran. Which is ‘true Islam’? Opinions differ. In the UK, the Church of England does not consider the Mormon Church to be Christian at all, and the Baptists don’t consider the Catholic Church to be Christian.

I’m all in favour of educating people about the religions of the world, but this needs to be done in an objective and impartial manner. The last thing we should do is leave this task to religious enthusiasts.

16. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributing Member Contributor

Listening to Christian Jihadists like Donald Trump and Ted Cruz makes me realize how much America has become the Middle East of the western world.

I wish more people realized that Good Christians (the vast majority) and Good Muslims (the vast majority) are one side and Evil Christians (Trump, Cruz) and Evil Muslims (ISIS) are another side, as opposed to GOP/ISIS propaganda that Good/Evil Christians are one side and Good/Evil Muslims are another.

Raven484 and GingerCoffee like this.
  17. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

As much as I support the right to different ideologies and agree that members of certain religions are misrepresented to an extent, the most I will do to support this movement is be actively indifferent. Associating myself with a religious movement such as this would conflict with my ideals of a secular future society.

An important thing to note about misrepresentation is that stereotypes are not exclusive to any group in particular.

18. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributing Member Contributor

Question: do you dream of a secular society for it's own sake, or for the sake of curbing the evils that stem from fundamentalist religious dogmas?

If it's the second, then I can say as a Christian that this movement is on your side for being opposed to evil, not on the side of the GOP and ISIS for being religious ;)

19. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not @NeighborVoid (obviously) but to some extent, as an atheist, I think any form of religion is dogmatic and a force for, if not evil, then certainly not for good.

I say that as someone who actually really likes some of the ideas from different religions (all the variations on the Golden Rule, for example).But I think that an ideal society would be based on reason, not superstition. Treating others as you would like to be treated yourself is good because it will make people happy and allow us to get along better, not because a magic man in the sky said it's what we should do.

To some extent, the reasons someone does something don't matter, so I'm not going to wage war on religion or even argue against it, if other people find it helpful. But I can definitely sympathize with the idea of not doing anything to encourage religion.

Raven484 likes this.
  20. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

I think somebodies want to fear you about Islam. Let these people to be comfortable among themselves.

Do you know Islam word itself does mean "peace" in Arabic language?! its accurate meaning is: " being peaceful " or its theosophy interpretation is " submitting against God"

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Raven484 likes this.
  21. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Is that significant? People can call themselves anything, and tend to use positive terminology to describe themselves. Look at compassionate conservatives :)

22. Mans

Mans Contributing Member

Let me explain more vivid :

in Arabic language:

-"Selm" does mean " peace".

-"Salam" = " offering peace".

- "Muslim" = " the one who confirmed to be peaceful"

-" Salim" = " the one who is peaceful often and tend not to struggle"

- "Sal,lem" = " put peace upon..."

-"Salem"= " healthy , container of peace"

-"Islam" = " being peaceful, testify to be peaceful"

Of course I am not Arab but as the sources of Islam among Koran is in Arabic language I have learned this language gradually enough to be able to study Koran, although I am not able to speak or Arabic.

Raven484 likes this.
  23. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

But the point is, names don't mean much. Greenland is icy, Iceland is green(er). They're just names, not indicators of truth.

24. thirdwind

On a side note, I really wish someone would include Sufism at such events. Not many people know about it, which is a shame since Sufi poetry is amazing.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  25. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I'm not arguing with the meaning, or that most Muslims are peaceful, just pointing out that anyone can call themselves whatever they want, including peaceful, even if they aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.