1. Ippo

Ippo Member

What's my story's genre

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Ippo, Nov 18, 2015.

Hey guys I need a little help in the genre jungle
    I just decided to throw out a whole lot of stuff from my work in progress and realised that the genre I was unknowingly going for isn't what I wanna do in the first place.
    So here I am trying to discern what my story's genre is. The story itself has been cut down so it's back to concepts. The idea is that there is a mystery that the MC and some other characters get drawn into aka something happens that upsets the world as it is in that moment. They get sucked into the intrigue, crimes and conspiracies behind those events and start to try and get to the bottom of it.
    Can it be a Detective/Action story even if there is no holmes-esque analysis (at least not that dominntly) and although there is not a single (private) detective involved in the cast?

What could be a possible genre? Help :S

edit: Just wanted to mention that I already checked for Mystery and its definition is definitely not what my story is about. Apparently Mystery involves unusual sci-fi or just otherworldly phenomena that I do not intend to use

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't think that is what a mystery is. From Google definitions:

qWirtzy likes this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I have no idea where you could've found that; detective fiction, spy fiction, and/or conspiracy fiction all fall under the mystery genre.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. Ippo

Ippo Member

German Wikipedia...
    Anyways thanks guys! Back to writing!

5. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

Thriller? Action/Adventure? Hard to say with out details. Not that it matters, just write it and see what it turns into.