My book's way better than the crap movie I'm watching.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Aug 14, 2013.

1. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

The part I quoted?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't see anything in there that says "financial success", I'm not even sure how you got there. The author with the best seller goes on to have crap books published, explaining some of the bad books on the shelves.

Allow me to clarify: Crappy books get published. Crappy screenplays get produced.

Compared to many of them, mine is way better. The bar is low, I see no reason I can't step over it.

3. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

The point is that those "crappy books" and "crappy screenplays" get published/produced because someone thinks they can make money. Saying that your work is "way better" is irrelevant. Those works weren't disseminated because of aesthetic considerations, but monetary ones.

4. GingerCoffee

Why do you think my description, "way better", is limited to, "aesthetic considerations"? Applying that narrow meaning to "way better" is a false assumption.

I realize there are going to be novels that are excellent stories excellently written that some publisher doesn't take because they don't believe it will be a commercial success. There is also a lot of crap out there that doesn't make money.

My book is still way better than the crap movie I watched. :D

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

How exactly do you define "way better"?

IronPalm likes this.
  6. GingerCoffee

It would very much include marketability along with being an interesting story with significant social relevance. I'm working on the 'well written' part but I'm confident I can at least pull off, 'well enough'. ;)

I know it may sound like I have a big head but I've seen over-confident writers in our critique group and I'm not one of them. I'd love to hear forum member's opinions on my writing, but I don't want to post parts of the book online anywhere because stuff is so easily ripped off. I am getting a lot of other opinions though and they're positive.

I've seen some incredible stuff other people in our group have written. Mine is not at the top of the pile by any means, but it's very much in the "people like it" range.

Edited to add one more thing: if I had to rely on the publisher gatekeepers, I'd be much less confident. But that gate isn't locked anymore. There's still marketing that depends on people liking the book enough to tell someone else to read it. Guess I'll find out.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Oh, I would love to give you an opinion on your writing. Feel free to send.

(no more than 1.5k preferably less)

8. GingerCoffee

That's very sweet of you. I may take you up on it when I'm close enough to being finished I don't have to worry about any electronic copies out there. But for the moment my critique group meets every two weeks and they are pretty good about giving useful feedback. And my son has read a couple chapters and I know he liked it, not because he said so as any good son would tell their mother, ;) , rather because of the specific comments he made.