1. Keven

Keven New Member

My Brain Hurts

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Keven, Nov 6, 2011.

Reader,

When I was little I had one of the most cliché dreams of all. Which was to be a police officer, but more like those undercover police in the movies. However, like many things with children my dreams changed over time. After dreaming of being the hero I wanted to be an actor; you know play the hero instead of being it. Of course that dream did not sit for long as one day at about the age of twelve I paid a visit to my schools local library and little did I know that my child hood career dream was about to take another turn.

I examined my tiny black paws. I moved my teeny little fingers. I twitched my button nose.
    Cute. I was so cute!
    “Now what?” Fergie wailed. “What do we do now?”
    “Uh…hunt for acorns?” I suggested.
    Fergie’s beady little eyes squinted into mine. “Excuse me?”
    “Let’s hunt for acorns!” I said. “I’m starving!”

(Stein, 1995)

I would say the works of R. L. Stine captivated me and drew me into a whole new world I had never thought of at the time and before I knew it I wanted to be a writer. I loved visualizing the world and people in these books and I thought I wanted to give this same feeling to another person. To have someone pick up a book written by me and be drawn in; perhaps even captivated as I was with R. L. Stine’s Goosebumps.

This eventually led me to read other books similar to Goosebumps (Bone Chillers, Betsy Haynes; Shivers, M. D. Spenser). If I had to select any writers who inspired me it was defiantly these three authors. I mean I was even more impressed when I found out R. L. Stine worked on more then one book series (Fear Street).

As a child and even now I sometimes find myself day dreaming that I write a masterpiece; doing interviews on talk shows and radio shows, book signings, but most of all having people who actually read my works and enjoyed them. I never thought about the complete process or even how to start. In fact from the time in J.R. High to High School I had only written three of my own works (two short stories and one novella; never published). The Awful Pumpkin Patch was my first try and dream at writing a book, but being at a young age I eventually grew tired of the story and tossed it out (to revive it years later).

My next two works where for English class well in High School, Fear Has a Price and Just Open Your Eyes. I still remember reading Fear Has a Price to the class as it was complete silence and after I finished one of the students said, “You’re a Psycho!” At the time I didn’t even take it as an insult, but more of a compliment. The reason is simply because I horrified or grossed out at least one listener and that was satisfying in itself.

v/Respectfully,
    Keven

2. Protar

Protar Active Member

I think that's possibly the longest introduction I've ever seen from a new member :) which reflects well on you. Witers should be longwinded. I hope this site can help you to realise your potential. Feel free to message me if you need any help. I'm on the site quite a lot.

3. Keven

Keven New Member

Protar,

It was longer, but I decided to "cut" the "fat."

Thank you and will do.

v/Respectfully,
    Keven

SIDE NOTE

I am also a web developer (see I cut out about 2 paragraphs on this) if anyone wants me to check out your sites and review and test (check for errors) them just send me PM (free of course).

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

5. Keven

Keven New Member

Gigi_GNR,

THank you.

v/Respectfully,
    Keven