My Country

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Mar 25, 2009.

1. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Since I have not tested weed from every province I can not give you a proper answer.
    LOL

Like a few others have said it is mandatory to take French to a certain grade. I however forget everything except Bonjour. So you do not need to know french when coming to Canada. I actually know more spanish than french. go figure.

2. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I was in the United States for a bit at the start of the year. I went there thinking all the misconceptions weren't true. But I honestly found that whenever I spoke people would either stare at me as if I were stupid, or smile in a pitying fashion. I have a pretty neutral accent as well! Nobody once asked me where I was from, and just didn't seem interested in anything I had to say. I disliked a majority of the people, the service on Amtrak, and your pennies, which, if you got rid of them, would save a hell of a lot of money. Since I was there on the Inauguration the streets were filled with crazies talking about Obama and world salvation. I found it creepy. Not as disturbing as the army kids on the train ride to Portland, who spoke of world domination and dying for their country. That was creepy.

With that being said, I enjoyed my time. There were some beautiful landscapes and the trip to Mexico was a highlight/eye-opening experience. I went through California, Oregon and Washington.

I wouldn't be so harsh to judge, but the first person we spoke to in Canada asked us where we were from and had a conversation with us. Other Canadians were no different. I definitely would return to Canada - it's such a beautiful country.

Some amazing choices. I'm all for the Amazon and Africa. Rwanda, Bostwana, South Africa etc.

3. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

I personally never ask where people are from when I hear an accent. I always thought it would be a kinda rude question unless I knew them. It would be like if I asked a black person who came up here if they were from the city. We're taught not to make assumptions and we err on the side of PC.
    I don't know about the not being interested in you maybe your just boring.:p

4. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

*raises hands*

got a question for the Canadian environmentalists.

Have you ever seen a dead lake, river or area(due to acid raid)? Or even been affected by the rain yourself?

5. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

As Africa's only representative so far i will answer any questions. I'm from Zimbabwe so questions about the southern part of africa would be best.

i also have one for the canadians. I heard they say aboot alot????:confused:

6. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I haven't picked up on 'aboot,' though different regions of Canada do have a more pronounced accent. We might need an American for this question. I do catch myself saying 'eh' every once in a while.

7. Neha

This one's for the Africans-Are there seriously tribals people there who live in secret places inside mountains and throw any person they come across as sun sacrifice??(I know it sounds a bit far-fetched, but I think I read about it somewhere).

8. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I'm from the U.S., Maryland to be more precise. The U.S defiently has it's fair share of troubles (ok maybe more than it's fair share at the moment), but overall it's a nice place to live. If nothing else, you can say that the government is f*cked up and not get executed for it. :p

9. Bluemouth

That was just an example. In general, brushed aside as if we were worthless. And I know I'm not boring because the Canadians got on with me very well. :)

10. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Have you been to Botswana? :)

I'd love to visit several countries in Africa, my friend used to live in cape town, my parents have been to S Africa, Botswana and Kenya and I wish I could! :p

11. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

There is your problem Bluemouth. Most people that come to our countries hit the big popular cities. Yes, the people in the cities are very rude. I don't know much about Oregon, I don't know if you are refering to Washigton State, or Washington D.C. If it was Washigton D.C. I can see why all the Obama people were there, and I found all that a bit freaky and annoying. HE IS JUST A MAN!

If you had gone to the southern states you would have found people SUPER friendly. I live in Ohio, and we are pretty friendly. Also, if you goto like Kentucky, Tennesse and other mid-eastern states, they seem pretty friendly too.

I think Calfornia is the strangest state in the union. Sorry if that bothers anyone, but I think some of your state laws are outragious.

12. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

In Iowa it's illegal for a man with a moustache to kiss a girl in public. :confused:

13. sophie.

sophie. New Member

^wtf?

That is so moustache-ist...yeah

Obscure!

14. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

its more a BBQ than a sun sacrifice:D just get 'em on a rotisserrie and sit back with a six pack! Seriously though there's nothing like that.

yeah but its pretty much sand and sand but the people are nice:) Kenya is a good place to go. Lots of stuff to see there like mountains and animals and stuff:p

15. Neha

lol, kk...

btw, since you live in the southern part of Africa--how's the human rights situation really like, as in from an insider's view-is it worse or better than the condition that pervailed in 1991??

16. sophie.

sophie. New Member

or 1994 in Rwanda

17. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

soujiroseta, whats the weather like? is it really always hot and humid? Ever kill a lion with a spear?(I have a friend who immigrated here and he swears he had to do it as part of a becoming a man ceremony) why can kenyas run so fast?

18. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I hadn't heard of that one. I was on a road trip through Missouri, and at a rest stop, the women's restroom was closed and I really had to go. We made sure the men's room was empty and my mom stood guard at the door. The janitor person wanted to get in and she told him I was in there. They said it was illegal in Missouri for women to use a man's restroom. I don't know if he was serious, but it struck me as weird.

19. Bluemouth

I think Los Angeles gave a bad initial impression. Portland was an amazing little city, surrounded by forest. Washington state wasn't too bad either. I can imagine other parts of your huge country would be very pleasant. Hopefully I'll get the chance to go back sometime. But California in particular was a little strange.

20. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

The other African waves his hand from the corner. I'm from South Africa.

Not quite sure what you mean here. See, there's Southern Africa, which is: Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa, Nambia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.

In South Africa, the country, human rights have changed enormously since the end of apartheid, in 1994. During apartheid, the country was a police state. White people were rich and in charge, everyone else got kicked in the teeth. My parents went to jail (they were anti-apartheid activists). It was bad all over.

Now, apartheid is over, but crime is very high, and a lot of people are still very poor. Economic change hasn't happened in the same way political change has.

As to Southern Africa in general, it's a variety of situations. Zimbabwe's economy has melted down totally - but I'm sure soujiroseta can tell you plenty about that.

Mozambique had almost non-stop war from the 70s until '92. Things are being rebuilt, but they still have problems with landmines and whatnot in some parts.

Namibia used to be occupied by South African troops (under the apartheid government), but they got their independence after a war, and now they're muddling along.

Swaziland is run by a complete bastard of a king. He's phenomenally wealthy and has tons of wives, while most Swazis are dirt poor. He doesn't see a problem with this.

Botswana's probably the most stable and reliable country in the region. They haven't had anything serious go wrong, aside from very high levels of HIV/Aids.

South Africa's definitely the economic / military / political 800 pound gorilla in the region.

Ooh, I know this one. Canadians will lie if you ask them about this. They do actually say something similar to aboot - it's actually aboat. However, if you ask them, they deny it and carefully say "about", the normal way. Then they forget and ten minutes later in conversation they slip up and say "aboat".

21. Palmer

Palmer New Member

Hopefully, this is post #101? :p Well, I'm Palmer from the Pearl of the Orient, otherwise known as the Philippines. ^.^ Yeah, it's just a third world country, but the life we live here is much different. Unlike the US, tax is already included in everything you buy, so you don't get that annoying markup that you didn't estimate correctly. We only have two seasons, the rainy season, and summer. Sure, the "ber" months are colder, but it'd take a few more decades of global warming to make our tropical paradise, temperate. Our little archipelago is a little overpopulated, and thus poverty is written all over our streets. However, we Filipinos are best known for our hospitality, as you'll rarely see any spoiled children out there; we have a completely different culture after all. Some traditions also affect the way we live, and one of the most prominent factors is religion. Although our country has two major catholic provinces, and one Muslim province in the far south, Christianity has gained favor for the past century, ever since we were liberated from Spanish rule. Yeah, it kinda sucks. Our homeland used to have lots of gold and natural resources that the conquistadors hoarded for their country's personal use. I'd call it theft to be honest. Our national hero isn't even a full-blooded Filipino. Still, his two novels, the Noli and the El Fili is what set our patriotic blood ablaze (yes, we read! :D). Right now, we may be notorious for the corruption that lies in the government. Well, to be honest, I wouldn't know what to do if I were in the president's shoes, but Marshal Law a couple of decades ago really drained our economy, more than it already was previously. We're losing hope, but according to recent surveys, more than 50% are still hoping for a brighter future. Do your part Mr. President! xD

22. joanne93

joanne93 New Member

I'm not sure if this is relevant but: in Germany how many days in one week do you go to school (if anyone is German). As, I was tole that they go to school monday to saturday from 8.00am to 1.00pm as the school day. I was just curious. Danka.

23. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I believe that is true. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

24. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Ja, das ist recht. And the word is Danke ;)

I was reasonably good at high school German, but really, they don't teach you much so my Deutsch is schrecklich.

25. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It's only until grade nine now. As for knowing French outside Quebec, I know someone who lived in Montreal until he was thirteen and doesn't speak a work of French.