Tags:
  1. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Copyright

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Reggie, Nov 15, 2010.

Hello, I want to know how I can register a copyright to my novel. I understand that the work must be fixed for fixation and original. I talked to a publisher about publishing my novel (I really don’t want it published, I just want it copyrighted) because I thought that they are the ones who copyright peoples’ stories.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? By the way, I don’t care to have my book published; I just like writing them for the fun of it. When I show my work to other people, I don’t want them to copy it and claiming ownership of my work.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

All you have to do is go to the copyright office and download the correct form, then submit it along with your work and the fee.

From what you've said, I'm not sure there is a whole lot of reason to register (although it's not that expensive to do so).

The work is already protected by copyright. That happens automatically.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no need to register your book's already existing copyright, so save the money for something more practical... the pros never do it, they leave that up to their publishers to deal with, before the book is released...

learn the facts about copyright here: www.copyright.gov

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

By the way, a simple search would have found MANY threads on the subject without any need to spawn a new one.

It's one thing if the search would be a difficult one, but it's considerate to make an attempt to see if your question has already been answered before creating a new thread.