1. hunny

hunny New Member

Finding an author, Editing & Getting Published

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by hunny, Nov 14, 2010.

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have just written my first book, and I am at the stage of tidying up the rough version. I feel it’s gold, I don’t know whether anyone else will think so, one can but try. Can any of you help with ideas about how to get this book published? I know someone that has had great difficulty in becoming a published author. He eventually had his three books ‘self published’ by one of those ever so helpful companies. I however do not wish to go down this path.

I thought I might first ask local authors if they would be interested in editing and submitting it to publishers. I have been to my local library and obtained an A4 sheet of local authors, and I believe one or two are well known. So the questions I have are:

· How do I approach these authors?

· What questions do I need to ask to check their suitability?

· If I find a suitable author that has not edited for someone else, what are the best methods for harmonious working relationships?

· How do I protect my work?​

I'm sure that there are things I have missed but these are the basics that come to mind.

Regards Ray

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Get yourself a copy of the Writers and Artists Yearbook if you are in the UK it has all the details and contacts in there. Then I am in process of starting a writers group to do this our current one is a bit of the nasty variety - constructive is great vicious i don't like lol

3. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Well if you want to go the traditional route and "get published" that way without having to self-publish and pay, you would have to look for an agent and/or publisher suitable for your work. Is your book fiction? If so, what genre? You need to hone in on the specific genres they accept.

Duotrope and Ralan are good sites to search for publishers. There is also an agent site, don't know it off the top of my head right now. Maybe someone will suggest it (if they know).

You can also get the Writer's Market for 2011. They have many listings in there for agents and publishers.

Writing a successful query is also deminstrated in the Market book.

Good Luck to you.

4. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

I'm not sure about contacting local authors. If you're trying to publish a novel, you'll want an agent. Just about all the agent info you want these days can be found online (not to mention via the books mentioned). You can also find a lot of information on the querying process online as well.

That's all assuming you're ready to start pitching to agents.

I would look into some local writing groups (and there are a few online that are considered a bit 'safer' than just using a forum, which can affect publication rights). There are a few people here and there that offer free 'mentoring' and of course you can always pay for professional editing or advice, if you have money to burn. If you send a few chapters through a writing group or mentor and they 'pass' with flying colors, then you probably really are ready to start querying.

My guess, and I mean no offense because even published authors still improve and work on their craft, is if it's your first book and you haven't already been writing/publishing smaller works, then you probably aren't ready to query agents.

It's not a race. There's no rush to get published. So whether you spend more time revising or start querying, take your time and be cautious. And remember that if you work is good enough to be published, you shouldn't need to pay an agent a 'reading fee' or pay a publisher advances; they should be paying you.

I would advise against approaching other authors about editing or even looking at your work. What you need to do is contact agents, not authors. Sometimes a writer will freelance edit or teach courses in writing, in which case you should be able to find their business information and contact them via those means. Check local writing guild (if there is one) or if there are any local literary centers or agencies that can point you in that direction. Just contacting random authors would be bad form to most authors I know, and the writing world is usually too small to want to make a bad first impression.

There is a lot to learn online, these days, and you should be able to figure out all your next steps that way via sites like this and agent blogs and writing sites (or via books, which often seem increasingly obsolete in this area).

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I don't see any harm in pitching your first book - I am with mine. By February I am hoping to have two others ready to be pitched as well worse that happens is you get rejections. I have been emboldened by having two come back with additional comments on my first book rather than just a form letter. One agent has suggested I try again in six months (however they are not what I want).

It is a lengthy process - I am determined to try agencies and publishers I like the sound of only.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...why would they, when they're busy enough working on their own books?... are you going to offer them money up front to do so?...

...if local, just ring them up or send them a letter... if not, contact them through their publisher or agent... but i don't see why they'd want to help you...

...sorry, but this is not making any sense... why would you have to ask?... if they write books similar to yours, does that not make them 'suitable'?... but the main question is still why should they want to do it...

...paying them enough to make it worth their while, if they're odd enough to agree to do it...

...by editing it on your own, as all writers must do and doing the required scut work to find an agent and publisher yourself, instead of expecting someone to do it for you...

...fyi, your work is protected by copyright automatically... check with the british copyright office for details on how it works... it will be similar, if not identical to the us rules 'n regs found here: www.copyright.gov